Love Hearts

© June Gilbank 2011

This is a clever little pattern to make sweet hearts in three sizes – each heart builds on the pattern of the previous heart. You can also make a bonus puffy heart to give a total of 4 different designs in this one pattern! String them into a garland, add a pin back to make a cute brooch, or fill a bowl with pretty hearts for Valentine’s Day decorating.

A: Small Heart; B: Medium Heart; C: Large Heart; D: Puffy Heart
love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune

This pattern is Donationware – the pattern is available for free, but if you like it please consider sending me a donation to show your appreciation:

love hearts crochet pattern

Send me a donation and receive the easy-to-print PDF version of the pattern as a thank you!

click here to make a donation

Donations of any size are much appreciated. Just add the amount you wish to donate, and, once you have checked out and paid, your pattern will instantly be available to download from your PlanetJune account.

The complete pattern and instructions are available below, regardless of whether or not you choose to pay for them :)

This is a PlanetJune original crochet pattern. Feel free to use items made from this pattern however you wish, but I’d appreciate credit as the pattern designer. Please do not reproduce the pattern anywhere else; instead post a link to http://www.planetjune.com/hearts

Not ready to make it yet? Add it to your Ravelry queue:

Terminology

ch chain
ch-sp chain space
dc double crochet (treble crochet for UK/Aus)
hdc half double crochet (half treble crochet for UK/Aus)
sc single crochet (double crochet for UK/Aus)
sl st slip stitch
st stitch
tr triple (treble) crochet (double treble crochet for UK/Aus)

You will need…

• E US/3.5mm crochet hook
  • Small quantity of worsted weight yarn in red, pink, or the colour of your choice
  • Yarn needle to weave in ends
  • Optional: small amount of polyester fibrefill stuffing for the puffy heart

Gauge

Gauge is unimportant for this pattern. I like to crochet the hearts with a small hook so they are rigid and there are no gaps between the stitches; if you prefer a looser, floppier heart, use a G or H hook instead.

Notes for all hearts

To make these hearts, you must be comfortable with the magic ring technique. Instead of single crocheting into the magic ring, the entire first round (Heart A) is crocheted directly into the ring, and then the ring is pulled tight to complete the round. This same pattern also forms Rnd 1 of all the other hearts, so read these instructions before beginning any of the hearts!

1. As you crochet Rnd 1, you may need to stop and snug together the bases of the stitches you’ve already made, so that you can fit all the stitches into the magic ring.
    love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune
    Left: Halfway through Rnd 1. Right: The same stage after pushing the bases of the stitches together.
  2. When you reach the end of Rnd 1, pull the magic ring almost closed, leaving a small hole in the middle.
    love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune
    Left: Rnd 1 finished. Right: Magic ring pulled almost closed with a small hole remaining.
  3. To complete Rnd 1, make the final sl st into the remaining hole, and then pull the magic ring tightly closed.
    love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune
    Left: Final sl st made. Right: Magic ring pulled tightly closed.

A: Small Heart

Make a magic ring, ch 2.
Rnd 1: (3 tr, 4 dc, tr, 4 dc, 3 tr) into magic ring.
Pull the magic ring mostly closed, leaving a small space in the middle, ch 2, sl st into the remaining hole in the magic ring. Pull the magic ring tightly closed.

To complete the heart, see Finishing (below).

B: Medium Heart

Make a magic ring, ch 2.
Rnd 1: (3 tr, 4 dc, tr, 4 dc, 3 tr) into magic ring.

Note: do not turn work, continue working anti-clockwise (clockwise for left-handers) around the heart, working into the stitches of Rnd 1, and starting by working into the ch-sp formed by the ch 2 you made after the magic ring.

Rnd 2: sc in ch-sp, 2 hdc in next st, 3 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 st, 2 hdc in next st, (hdc, dc, hdc) in next st, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 3 st, 2 hdc in next st, 3 hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st, (sc, sl st) in ch-sp.

To complete the heart, see Finishing (below).

C: Large Heart

Make a magic ring, ch 2.
Rnd 1: (3 tr, 4 dc, tr, 4 dc, 3 tr) into magic ring.

Note: do not turn work, continue working anti-clockwise (clockwise for left-handers) around the heart, working into the stitches of Rnd 2.

Rnd 3: sc in next 2 st, (sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) three times, sc in next 6 st, 3 sc in next st, sc in next 6 st, (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) three times, sc in next 2 st.
Join with sl st into first st.

To complete the heart, see Finishing (below).

Finishing (Hearts A, B ,C)

As Hearts A, B, and C are flat, you’ll need to weave in the yarn ends.

Starting tail
Note: Make sure your magic ring is pulled tightly closed before you begin weaving in the ends – this is your last chance to avoid having a hole in the middle!
This yarn end should already be at the back of the work (the side facing away from you as you crochet). Using a yarn needle, weave the end, a few stitches at a time, underneath the backs of the stitches of Rnd 1.

End tail
If you’d like to make a hanging loop to string your hearts into a garland, keep the end tail long and use it to form the hanging loop. If not, draw the yarn end to the back of the heart (the side facing away from you as you crochet). Using a yarn needle, weave the end under the backs of the stitches of Rnd 1, as you did for the other end.

D: Puffy Heart

love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune
Heart D is a puffy version of Heart C, made by crocheting 2 hearts together with a small amount of stuffing in between them.

1. Begin by crocheting 2 x Heart B, but do not fasten off the yarn when you have completed the second heart.
  2. Holding both hearts with wrong sides together, work Rnd 3 of Heart C, inserting the hook through both layers to begin each stitch (see picture below).
    love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune
  3. When you have one lobe of the heart left to crochet together, stuff all the yarn ends into the heart, then add a small wisp of stuffing to puff up the heart a little (see pictures below).
    love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune
  4. Complete Rnd 3, again crocheting through both layers.
  5. If you’d like to make a hanging loop to string your hearts into a garland, keep the yarn tail long and use it to form the hanging loop. If not, use a yarn needle to lose the end between the two layers of the heart.

love hearts crochet pattern by planetjune

I hope you enjoy this pattern. Please leave me a comment below if you do, and consider leaving me a donation. Thanks!

click here to make a donation

1. [...] crocheted pink hearts are super-cute… they might be good to add to a give, or pin to a [...]

• Susan Chan said

Using this as my profile picture on FB. I cited your website. Hope it brings you some business!

2. Sherry said

Hey!

Awesome pattern for the hearts! Too Cute!

I go every day to nursing home to care for my mom. She used to decorate her home with hearts and bows! I have her fav pictures on the wall even though she doesn’t remember them anymore. In between the pics I place hearts I crocheted of many colors! Just started a few weeks ago! Its going to look amazing!

Thanks for sharing an awesome pattern! I’m not going to use it until I have some money to donate! Will send pics when I’m do! I can’t wait to try some with the center a different color!

Take Care,

Sherry

P.S. Found you on Ravelry. My name is “icrocheticreate”.

3. Jesse said

I love your hearts. They are very cute and super easy to make, it literally takes minutes to make. I can see these on all kinds of stuff, my daughter was born on Valentines day. I see a lot of heart stuff in her future. Thank you so much for sharing, I love crochet and learning new ways to crochet. Do you know how to make a star that is just as easy?

4. Nati said

thank you!!! the best crochet heart! I love it!!!

5. Myat Mon said

Thank you very much for your free patterns. I like these lovely hearts very much. I am from Myanmar. I am very interested in crochet.
    Thanks a lot!

6. jennyfer said

Merci pour le partage j’aime bien vos coeurs c’est tre beaux.

7. Sihem said

8. Martha said

Can this pattern be made larger for a pillow?

I’m sorry, Martha, you can’t scale it up by that much – it’s designed to be a small embellishment. You could crochet a regular square pillow and then stitch the little hearts onto it though…

9. Jacqueline Martens said

I’ve used your pattern to make little “pocket hearts” for Hospice Nurses. I’m a Hospice volunteer and know what they go through…it helps when they have a little heart for their pocket….instead of wearing it on their sleeves…it’s a really tough job and one that is often thankless… Your pattern is simple, easy and for breast cancer patients, edging the large one with the fun fur makes it special. Thank you again. I believe I’ve already donated some time ago because I already had the pattern. Have a Blessed New Year. Sincerely,
    Jacqueline

10. Zenzile said

You have no idea how frantically I have been looking for this pattern. I am so excited to go home and try in after work today! YAAYY!! Thank you!!

11. Ed Cookman said

Dear June, Thank you for being so generous with your patterns and help. I am madly making Valentine hearts for all my “adopted” nieces. Your instructions on the magic circle about keeping the starting yarn to the left and working yarn to the right were the “trick” I needed although I am still mastering the hold as I begin the first stitches. Your ability to explain the many small details is remarkable. Retired to Puebla, Mexico, Ed.

12. Ruby said

Hello!

These are sweet little hearts and I just wanted to add that a magnet glued on the back (or a piece of magnet strip) would make these a cute little fridge magnet (fridgie).

13. Bre 13 yrs old said

thanx so much…dis is easy and a quick gift to give to my friends on Valentines day

14. lully said

beautiful hearts! thank you so much! truly lovely!!!

15. Diane thomas said

Thanks so much for sharing,that is a delightful heart pattern and it takes no time at all to make Diane

16. teresa nadal said

Es precioso, Wonderfull, Maravilloso para tener en casa y regalar Que lindos!!! Gracias Teresa

17. Donna said

Have you made a how-to video of the love hearts? I’d love to try it but need to see them actually being made.

I’m afraid not, Donna – each video takes me several hours to film and edit, so I’m concentrating on building a video library of crochet techniques that can be used over and over, not specific pattern demonstrations. You could watch my Magic Ring video though – it’s the same basic technique, but instead of working 6 sc into the ring (as I show in the video) you’ll work all the stitches of Rnd 1 of the heart into the ring. Maybe that will help you!

18. Tamara said

Thanks so much for sharing these – so cute! I linked to this page from my blog this morning for a roundup of back to school patterns. It’s at http://tinyurl.com/cxwdx26 if you want to check it out.

19. nitzan said

Thank you for the great patterns!

20. shasha Mahanama said

it was so beautifully it didn’t take even 5 mins . to finish it . i will be trying with others too soon.thank you .
    shasha .
    (hope to be a face book friend of yours !!! )

21. aisha said

very nice >>>> thanx alllllllllllllot for you

22. Jo said

The very best crochet heart pattern I have found – it is beautiful :)

23. Nicole said

Help Please, I have made a few different crochet items and i really love these hearts, i have done round 1 but for some reason cant get to grips on the second round, i seem to stitch the point in the wrong place and it looks lopsided.

please could you let me know what i am doing wrong?

Thank you.

Nicole, without seeing your heart, I can’t see where you’re going wrong. As a complete guess, I’d say you’re probably making either too few (if your point comes after the centre) or too many (if your point comes before the centre) stitches into the ch-sp at the beginning of Rnd 2. At the beginning of Rnd 1, if you try slipping a stitch marker around the ch 2 and a second marker into the first tr, you’ll be able to see clearly where to make the first two stitches of Rnd 2, and hopefully it should all work out from there.

24. misha said

25. Dedri said

Hi :) I just wanted to say that your heart pattern is very cute. I have featured it on my site – along with 2 other cute heart patterns. Thank you for sharing! I am going to find the link to your newsletter right now!
    Dedri

26. Anna said

Hello, June!

I want to say thank-you for this lovely pattern! It’s by far the best heart-shape I’ve found online, and I’ve been looking for quite a while. Thanks again!

27. iam tryig to crochet a heart for my cousions blanket and having troble where elso can i look iam a beggener on making a heart

Carrie, I suggest you ask for help in my Ravelry group – there are lots of crocheters there who can help you with any of my patterns :)

28. Christine said

These are the best hearts I have seen! Thanks SO much for these!

29. Rene said

So sweet, thanks!
    Hugs
    Rene

30. lauren said

I want make a D heart but I have holes in the C heart what do I do?

Lauren, there are vertical slits between the stitches as you’re using tall stitches, but the D heart uses just a wisp of stuffing to make it puffy; it isn’t a fully 3D heart, so small gaps shouldn’t matter. If you have large gaps or holes between your stitches, you must be using too large a hook for your yarn. I used an E (3.5mm) hook with worsted weight yarn for my hearts – if you’re using a finer yarn or a larger hook, you’ll get a floppier heart with larger holes, as the stitches won’t be packed as tightly together, so I suggest you try again with a smaller hook, or thicker yarn.

31. ayaka said

June,
    Thank you so much for posting this tutorial.
    I really love these hearts
    I’d like to share this tutorial with Japanese bloggers.
    Do you mind if I translate this tutorial to Japanese, and post on my blog?
    Of course I will link back to this tutorial.
    I hope that you are OK with that.

32. Magda said

Hello June!
    i’ve searched for a heart tutorial for a long time and i’ve tried a lot of them, but honestly – yours is the best, easy, clear and the heart is sweet and pretty.. this is what i wanted
    Thank you so much!
    greetengs from Rome!

33. Cindy said

Thank you for the pattern! These hearts are so cute and are just perfect for putting on the bookmarks that I am making for my sons 5th grade Valentines Day party!

34. Emma Zimmerman said

Hi, me again. I lost some of your patterns from a few years ago. It took me awhile to remember your name and site. Back when I first found you I don’t think you had pay-pal. But in exploring your site I see you do now. So no I’m not crazy when I first remarked in the other post I wished you had pay-pal, for now you do GREAT, I can donate a little each month when i get my social security or hubby gets paid.
    Emma

35. Emma Zimmerman said

These hearts are fantastic!!!! i played around with different size hooks with kitchen cotton( sugar & cream and peaches & Cream ) and got them large enough to make coasters and now trying different size hooks and multiple starnds to make potholders out of the pattern and a dishcloth. This is a GREAt pattern love it, love it. Thank you. donation comimg on pay day.
    Emma

36. MUITO OBRIGADA!!!!It means Thank you so much in Portuguese…. Lots of love from BRAZIL….

37. Iris said

leuk bedacht echt sssch

38. Liliana eugenia said

Dear June: Thanks for the pattern !!! very easy to do, I did some for my mom and my sister too, there are so happy !! Congratulations for you from Argentina!!!

39. linda $mit said

From South Africa – I’ve been searching for a heart with a difference and I have found it. Thank you

40. Makena said

Hi I love all your patterns and I will make a bunch of these hearts and sew them together to make a blanket. Thank you for this pattern.

41. Dear June, I loved your magic ring video, the invisible decrease. I make cat balls for a rescue. Now I moved into the hearts. the patern is simple. I am excited. I taught myself threw your videos and you simple instructions. thank you for your hard work. Do you have a simple cat pattern to make? One that is flat.

42. Shelly said

Thank you for sharing this pattern! I needed a heart for a hat I was making and this one is too cute! Best heart I’ve seen!! Thanks!!

43. Violet said

Your hearts are absolutely beautiful!

44. Jacqueline Martens said

A couple of years ago I made a donation and took the pattern from your site. I just want you to know how many people have been touched by your pattern and my ministry. Hospice Hearts are a part of their healing practice and nurses carry them in pockets to distribute to families of patients in peril. I’ve touched the spirits of young, mentally disturbed children who sit patiently watching my hands create the heart, and when they’re given the calm of being able to hold something in their hand that’s warm and fuzzy makes smiles. A small thing to many, but to others all the world. Thank you again for your pattern and your caring. You have illuminated dark corners with the love. Enjoy your day. Blessings and Peace.

Thank you, Jacqueline – I’m so happy to hear that!

45. Sue McEndree said

These are wonderful. Thank you for sharing the instructions.

46. Tina Burton said

Hi June,these are the best hearts I’ve seen and I’d love to make them, but I’m a bit stuck on just one thing – ‘sc into the ch-sp’.

I know it means to crochet into the chain space, but I don’t know where the chain space is!

How do I find it or know where it is?

Tina x

Tina, working into a chain space simply means you work into the space beneath the entire length of chain, instead of inserting your hook into one of the individual chain stitches. In this case, instead of inserting your hook into either the 1st or 2nd chain of the ‘ch 2′, you’ll insert it into the larger gap beneath both chains.

• Tina said

Hello, thank you, that’s helped :)
        Usually you can see the chain space quite obviously – it’s a large hole – but on a small project like this, I just can’t see any holes so thought I must be missing something!

47. Toni Moore said

The hearts are precious. Thanking you for sharing the pattern.

48. Destiny said

Thank you so much for this pattern!!! I’m working on a fun project based on a beloved computer game, and these hearts are perfect! I hope I finish it before Valentine’s Day! :D

May I link a photo to you once it’s done? ^_^

49. Sarah said

Hi I’m totally in love with making these hearts I do have a question,
    Would u mind if I were to make them into keyrings to donate for the British heart foundation please ?xx

Sarah, of course you may! As per my FAQ, you may do whatever you wish with items made from my patterns (and, if you choose to sell them, please give me credit as the pattern designer if that’s possible).

50. jaya sampat said

thank you so much, for the free patterns they are excellent. wish you all the best.