Lip Balm Holder

© June Gilbank 2011

Never lose your lip balm again (or have it melt in your pocket) with this stylish holder! Clip it to your keyring, to your bag, or even to your belt loop and you’ll always have lip balm at hand when you need it. Quick and easy to crochet, just pop a lip balm inside and you have a perfect little gift!

Lip Balm Holder is part of the PlanetJune Accessories range of crochet patterns by June Gilbank.

PlanetJune Accessories Lip Balm Holder crochet pattern

This pattern is Donationware – the pattern is available for free, but if you like it please consider sending me a donation to show your appreciation:

lip balm holder crochet pattern

Send me a donation and receive the easy-to-print PDF version of the pattern as a thank you! It includes some additional info that you’ll only find in the PDF version:
- A modification to make the holder slightly wider
- A simpler edging option
- Tips for attaching the various types of hardware that you see in my photos

click here to make a donation

Donations of any size are much appreciated. Just add the amount you wish to donate, and, once you have checked out and paid, your pattern will instantly be available to download from your PlanetJune account.

The complete pattern and instructions are available below, regardless of whether or not you choose to pay for them :)

This is a PlanetJune original crochet pattern. Feel free to use items made from this pattern however you wish, but I’d appreciate credit as the pattern designer. Please do not reproduce the pattern anywhere else; instead post a link to http://www.planetjune.com/lipbalmholder

Not ready to make it yet? Add it to your Ravelry queue:

Terminology

ch chain
ch-sp chain space
rsc reverse single crochet (reverse double crochet for UK/Aus) – aka crab stitch
sc single crochet (double crochet for UK/Aus)
sl st slip stitch
st stitch

You will need…

• B US/2.25mm crochet hook (or size needed to create a good fit, see Gauge, below)
  • Small quantity of size 5 crochet thread (or substitute size 8 or 10 thread, or a super fine/fingering weight yarn)
  • Needle to weave in ends (as small as possible, but large enough to fit your thread/yarn through the eye – an embroidery needle is a good choice)
  • Optional: metal key chain or jewellery findings (as desired)

Samples

lip balm holder crochet pattern by planetjune
L-R: size 5 crochet thread, size 8 pearl cotton, size 10 crochet thread, fingering weight yarn (Bernat Baby).

Gauge

Although exact gauge isn’t critical for this pattern, the holder does need to fit snugly around a lip balm tube. It will depend on the exact yarn you use as well as how tightly you crochet. To test your gauge, crochet the first 6 or 7 rounds, then try fitting the base of your tube inside. It should be a fairly tight fit:

• If the holder is too loose to grip the tube: reduce your hook by 1 size and/or use a thinner yarn/thread.
  • If the holder is too narrow to fit over the base: increase your hook by 1 size and/or use a thicker yarn/thread.

Note

Do not join at the end of each round; rounds are worked in continuous spirals.

Special stitches

Reverse single crochet (rsc). This technique creates a twisted cord edging and a neat finish.
Insert hook into previous stitch, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on hook.(1 rsc completed)

See also my rsc video tutorial (including right- and left-handed versions).

Pattern

Make a magic ring, ch 1.
Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring. (6 st)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 st)
Rnd 3: (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) six times. (18 st)
Rnd 4: ch 1, (sc in next st, ch 1, skip next st) nine times.

Make sure the magic ring is pulled completely closed. Thread the starting yarn tail onto a needle and weave it through a few stitches around the base of the circle (Figure 1); you don’t need to be neat, as the inside of the holder won’t be seen, but make sure you weave the end through enough stitches that it’s secure. Snip off the remaining tail close to the stitches.

You don’t need to count rounds or mark the start of each round from this point, just continue to crochet the following stitch pattern:

Rnd 5: (sc in next ch-sp, ch 1, skip next st) around.

Note: Each round is automatically offset by one stitch so the pattern can continue seamlessly as you spiral around.

Complete 2 or 3 rounds of this stitch pattern, then test the lip balm holder for size (Figure 2). See Gauge, above, and follow the instructions to correct if it is too wide or narrow.

Lip Balm Holder crochet pattern, Figures 1 and 2
L: Figure 1 (weaving in the starting tail on the inside of the base)
R: Figure 2 (testing the width of the lip balm holder to make sure the lip balm will fit snugly inside)

Continue to work in the same stitch pattern, working in a continuous spiral, until the lip balm holder is long enough (approx 19 rounds of the stitch pattern). Test the length by sliding a lip balm tube inside the holder, then remove it to continue. Stop crocheting when the holder reaches the join between the lip balm base and cap, ending with a sc in next ch-sp.

Do not fasten off…

Note: It’s very easy to make a shorter or longer hanging loop if you’d prefer. In Rnd 6, below, instead of the ch 5 to create the loop, chain as many stitches as you’d like. When you work the rsc edging, work the same number of rsc stitches into the ch-sp as the number of chain stitches you worked, or as many as you need to work all the way around the loop.

Rnd 6: ch 5, sc in next ch-sp (Figure 3), ch 1, sl st in next ch-sp, ch 1, rsc in previous ch-sp. Working backwards around the edge, rsc in previous sc, 5 rsc in ch5-sp (Figure 4), rsc in each sc and each ch-sp around. In final stitch, still working backwards, insert yarn back into same stitch and complete a sl st. Fasten off, leaving a long yarn end.

Thread the yarn end onto a needle, and weave it in around the top of the lip balm holder, passing the needle under each rsc (Figure 5). Snip off the remaining yarn end.

Lip Balm Holder crochet pattern, Figures 3-5
L-R: Figure 3, Figure 4, Figure 5

How to Use it

You can attach all sorts of clasps to your lip balm holder for different uses.

Lip Balm Holder crochet pattern, hardware options
A wide selection of hardware including key chains, lobster claw clasps, clips and straps is available from general craft stores or bead stores.

For example, you can attach it to your belt loop, to your key chain, or to your purse strap, as shown in my examples:

PlanetJune Accessories Lip Balm Holder crochet pattern

I hope you enjoy this pattern. Please leave me a comment below if you do, and consider leaving me a donation. Thanks!

click here to make a donation

1. Monica said

Amazing! You have done it again June! Simple Brilliance! I can’t wait to get the PDF, but even your instructions here as so easy to follow! This will make a Great Gift for Christmas! I’ve only made one so far but I plan on making more! Thanks so much June!

2. Cindy Renckly said

Your patterns are wonderful. And you are so gracious in showing us how to do so many crochet stitches. I would like to make a donation for a few of your free patterns but do not want to use PayPal. Is there another way?

I’m afraid not, Cindy – I currently live in South Africa, and the fees to deposit a cheque and convert it into local currency make it impossible for me to accept any form of payment other than PayPal. The only option I can think of is that you could send me an amazon.co.uk (not .com!) gift certificate for the amount converted from USD into GBP. If you’d like to do that, please email me and we can sort out the details.

3. DOULOS said

June hi, i have a question i got this pattern ad it is like chniesse to me can not understand a word can you please help k2 *p5tog, (k1,p1,k1,p1,k1)al into next stich, repeat from * to last 2 stch, k2 thank you before hands,have a blessed ad creative week, Clara

Hi Clara, that’s not Chinese, but it is a knitting pattern! k is knit, p is purl :)

4. clara tebeau said

June you are so silly, i underestand that, the thing is with the p5tog i am new in this and am trying to find a logical explanation i think is you purl 5 stchs together then k1p1 etc i read some instructions in the internet and confused me even more since you are very practical and clear in your instructions i thought yours will make more sense than mine, thanks Clara

Oops! I assumed you were asking me because you thought it was bizarre crochet terminology. I’m not a knitter, so really not the best person to ask about knitting questions…

5. clara tebeau said

bummer you are the best teachin the how to’s… but thanks for the smile :) , also thank you for what you post about be yourlsef and encourage others to follow our dreams and put our special touch in what we do, it lift my spirit, thanks again

6. Anna said

YES! Just in time. I just found my favorite chapstick behind the couch and the outer cover of the bottom (where it turns) is broken off! The chapstick is untouched and completely useable, and it still turns and everything, but I can’t carry it in my pocket for fear the now loose-fitting top will come off and I’ll end up with it melted all in my pocket. Thank you so much!

7. Lidia said

que hermosos me gustaron son muy lindos ^.^ me voy animar hacer uno ?

8. Linda said

Just found you a few days ago and have been taking a tour….wow, what a lovely place to spend time. You have some fabulous ideas, thank you so much for sharing. I cannot wait to tour some more and then hopefully do some crochet work again.
    This idea for the chapstick is fab, my daughter is loosing hers all the time so this will really be a great idea for her. If I get time to do it I will let you know. Many thanks and keep up the good work.
    Best wishes Linda x

9. Lori said

Hi June, I consider myself still new to crocheting, even though I’ve learned the basic stitches. There are two phrases in this pattern I haven’t come across yet, that don’t make sense to me, and I was wondering if you could explain them or make a short video to show them. The first one is “chain space” (ch-sp); The second is “skip a chain”. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you SO much for your great patterns and video tutorials; I can’t wait to try my hand at amigarumi too!

I can help with that, Lori!

• Skip a chain: Usually you work into every chain so the instruction would be “[make this stitch] in next chain”. In this case, you’ll jump over the next chain (i.e. skip it) and work into the chain following the next one.
      • Chain space (ch-sp): When you work into a chain stitch, you usually insert your hook under one or two loops of the stitch. The chain space is the space left below a chain, so working into a chain space means you insert your hook into the gap below the entire chain, instead of working into the middle of the chain stitch as usual.