Turtle Beach instructions

free Turtle Beach blanket crochet pattern by PlanetJune (turtle pattern sold separately)

Now you can make your own Turtle Beach blanket! The Turtle Beach instructions, together with my Ribbed Ripple stitch pattern and lots of bonus content, are now available as a printable Donationware pattern. The basic information is available for free, below, but if you like them please consider sending me a donation to show your appreciation:

ribbed ripple turtle beach crochet pattern

Send me a donation and receive the easy-to-print PDF version of these instructions and the Ribbed Ripple stitch pattern, and lots of bonuses (edging instructions, a complete Turtle Beach blanket pattern, and ‘swimming turtle’ modifications) as a thank you!

Donations of any size are much appreciated. Just add the amount you wish to donate, and, once you have checked out and paid, your pattern will instantly be available to download from your PlanetJune account.

The complete pattern for the Turtle Beach square and general instructions for a Turtle Beach blanket are available below, regardless of whether or not you choose to pay for them πŸ™‚

turtle beach crochet pattern by planetjune

Please note: To complete a Turtle Beach blanket, you’ll also need some turtles! The Baby Sea Turtle Collection pattern is for sale separately, from my shop.

This is a PlanetJune original crochet pattern. Feel free to use items made from this pattern however you wish, but I’d appreciate credit as the pattern designer. Please do not reproduce the pattern anywhere else; instead post a link to http://www.planetjune.com/turtlebeach

Not ready to make it yet? Add it to your Ravelry queue:

Turtle Beach square

Here’s a 10″/25.5cm square sample pattern – of course, you can use the same technique to make a larger blanket too, with a longer starting chain (see the Ribbed Ripple stitch pattern for how to choose a starting chain length) and more rows in your blanket.

turtle beach square crochet pattern by planetjune

You will need…

• H US/5mm crochet hook (or your preferred hook size – see Gauge, below)
  • Worsted weight yarn in yellow, white, light blue and dark blue (less than 30m/35yds of each colour)
    • For my Turtle Beach sample, I used Red Heart Soft yarns in Honey, White, Blue Sky, and Mid Blue. (If you’d like to add a third shade of blue, you could also add Navy as the darkest shade.)
    • If you’re mixing and matching yarn brands, try to choose yarns that are similar in look and weight (see www.planetjune.com/wwyarn for further information).

Gauge

You can use any hook and yarn combination for this pattern; using a thicker yarn and larger hook will make your blanket grow more quickly! The only requirement for gauge is that you like the look and feel of the fabric you form. The crochet hook size recommended on the ball band of your yarn will give you a good starting point. If your fabric is too firm, try using a hook one size larger.

For my Turtle Beach 10″/25.5cm sample square, my gauge was 1 wave repeat = 3.3″/8.5cm; 7 rows in 4″/10cm.

Note: If you don’t match my gauge, your piece will have a different finished size to mine. If you don’t mind this, you don’t need to worry about matching my gauge!

Pattern

With dark blue yarn, ch 39.

Follow the Ribbed Ripple stitch pattern (with N=2), changing colour as follows:

Rows 1-6: dark blue yarn
Rows 7-10: light blue yarn
Rows 11-12: white yarn
Rows 13-17: yellow yarn

turtle beach square crochet pattern by planetjune
This photo shows the scale of the square compared with a Baby Sea Turtle, when made with the same yarn (Red Heart Soft). The square was worked with an H US/5m hook and the turtle with an E US/3.5mm hook.

General Turtle Beach Instructions

Some general instructions for any size of square or blanket…

• To make the beach scene, you need to start crocheting from the top (the dark blue end) of the finished afghan, so that the waves will flow down towards the shore and over the sand.
  • You’ll need yellow, white, and two or more shades of blue. Arrange your blue shades from darkest to lightest. Starting with the dark blue, crochet as many pairs of rows as you wish.
  • Move through each shade of blue, making two or more pairs of rows of each shade before moving to the next shade.
  • After the palest blue, make one pair of rows in white to form the whitecap of the wave, then make as many rows of yellow as you wish to complete your piece.

Here are some examples:

turtle beach blanket colour examples by planetjune

As a rule of thumb, you’ll probably want about a third of the blanket to be yellow, a thin band of white, and the rest in various shades of blue.

The blanket will flow nicely if the lighter blue(s) have fewer rows than the darker blue(s).

These guidelines are just a starting point if you’re not sure how to structure the colours. Feel free to break these ‘rules’ if you have a different idea – there’s no right and wrong here!

Adding the Turtles

Make turtles from my Baby Sea Turtle Collection pattern (sold separately).

You can use the finished blanket as a playmat, so a child can play with the turtles, or make it a permanent arrangement by stitching the turtles down to the blanket.

If you’re going to stitch turtles directly to the blanket, you can add as many turtles as you have the patience to make! Try a test arrangement of all your turtles before you start to stitch them down, following the tips below and spacing them out across the bottom section of the blanket.

Tip: Snap a photo of your arrangement before you begin stitching so you don’t forget how you laid them out!

turtle beach blanket example turtle arrangement by planetjune

Turtle Arrangement

• Arrange the turtles so they all face up the blanket, heading out to sea. So they look more realistic, position each turtle at a slightly different angle.
  • Position any hatching turtles on the sand nearest the bottom of the blanket.
  • Position the complete turtle hatchlings so they are all heading up the blanket towards the sea, and into the shallows [the lighter blue(s) of the sea].
  • Position any swimming turtles in the deeper water [the darkest blue of the sea]. (The modifications to make a swimming turtle are included in the PDF version of this patten, available for any size donation.)
ribbed ripple turtle beach crochet pattern

I hope you enjoy this pattern. Please leave me a comment below if you do, and consider leaving me a donation.

(If you do, you’ll receive the easy-to-print PDF version of these instructions and the Ribbed Ripple stitch pattern, and lots of bonus content: edging instructions, a complete Turtle Beach blanket pattern, and ‘swimming turtle’ modifications for the Baby Sea Turtle.)

1. Danis said

Thank you so much , I was looking for this blanket instructions ??

2. Teresa said

What stitch did you use on the white row? I was thinking it was something different than the other colors.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Teresa

Teresa, the blanket with the extra texture in the ‘foam’ is by jomeigs on Ravelry – you can read the modifications she made to my pattern on her project page πŸ™‚

3. Donna Shifflett said

How difficult is this blanket to make. Can a beginner follow the instructions or will I need lessons? It’s so adorable and my niece wants me to make it.

Donna, several people that I know of have learnt to crochet just to make this blanket, so it is certainly possible for a keen beginner! You will need to learn the basics of crochet first (I can recommend my book as the perfect learning tool!) but the stitches used in the blanket are very basic (chain and double crochet) and the pattern is clearly written, so it’s definitely possible for a beginner.

If you want to make the turtles, you’ll need to learn how to make amigurumi (stuffed toys) too – but my website can teach you all the skills you’ll need for that! See my beginner’s advice for more details πŸ™‚

4. Judy Quinones said

I’d like to purchase the sea turtles from you for my blanket. Please send me information on how to do this. Sincerely, Judy

5. megan said

Hi! Love this blanket, it is so adorable! If I were wanting to make a large blanket would I just do a chain in increments of 39 until I achieve the size that I want?

Not quite, Megan! This page contains the specific instructions for a 10″ square; if you click through to the Ribbed Ripple stitch pattern (linked above) it explains the starting chain length for any size of blanket.

The PDF version (available for any size donation, also linked above) includes more specifics for choosing a blanket size, and the full pattern for a 36×48″ blanket too.

6. Elaine Carlton said

for the Turtle Beach Blanket pattern, Row 1: when you say dc2tog twice, do you do that in 4 consecutive stitches or the same 2 over again? I’m a beginner and am trying to make this for my daughter, who’s expecting her first baby in August! I hope I didn’t bite off more than I can chew!

You’re making 2 decreases in a row: work the first dc2tog over the next two stitches, then the second dc2tog over the following two stitches. So yes, ‘dc2tog twice’ uses a total of 4 stitches from the row below. (If you take a look at the accompanying stitch diagram it should help clarify anything you don’t understand!)

Oh, and of course you can do this – I’m here to help if you need it πŸ™‚

I recommend you start with a small sample (e.g. the first few rows of the 10″ square) to make sure you understand the pattern fully before jumping into a full blanket. The good news is that once you have got the hang of it, every single row is the same, so you can move onto the blanket with confidence!

7. Florence Apostol said

I guess I don’t understand what you mean by starting to crochet from the top of the finished Afghan… If you start with the dark blue & finish wit the sand will stitches be upside down when you turn it so blue is on top?

Yes, that’s right, you start with the dark blue and then turn the completed afghan upside down so the dark blue is at the top and all the dc stitches point downwards. Due to the colour changes and the unworked front loops, this gives the effect of the waves ‘lapping’ over the sand πŸ™‚

8. Florence Apostol said

Please let me know what is the multiple for a starting chain to make a blanket? I could not understand the info with the “N”. # of stitches for multiple plus for chains for turning.. thx

Florence, as it says in the explanation, N is the number of repeats, so “12xN + 15” means “any multiple of 12, plus 15”. The number of repeats you’ll need depends on how large you’d like to make your blanket, and your gauge (which depends on the yarn and hook you choose, and how tightly you crochet).

If you’d like my complete pattern for exactly how to make a 36″x48″ (3ft x 4 ft) blanket (with no mention of N!), that’s included in the PDF version, available for any size donation πŸ™‚

9. Vicky said

Hi June!
    I understand N=repeated wave but what’s the +15 for? The two short ends would be 6 each side wouldn’t they?

Yep, six at each side, plus 3 for the turning chain – if you look at the stitch diagram you can count them up πŸ™‚

• Vicky said

Great thank you, I’m going to give this a go ??

RSS feed for comments on this post