Frilled Lizard is an original EXPANSION PACK for the Iguana crochet pattern by June Gilbank.
What is an Expansion Pack?
- An Expansion Pack is an add-on to an existing PlanetJune pattern.
- The Expansion Pack lets you modify or add to the original pattern to create something else.
- You cannot use the Expansion Pack alone - you must also purchase the original pattern in order to be able to complete the pictured items in the Expansion Pack pattern.
This Expansion Pack includes all the modifications required to crochet a frill-necked lizard in full display mode, with gaping mouth and fully-spread ridged frill.
Frill-necked lizards come from Australia and are part of the agamid family of lizards, otherwise known as dragons or dragon lizards. The amazing brightly-coloured mouth lining and dramatic frill work as a defense mechanism for the lizard, to make it look big and threatening when it's frightened. When un-expanded, the pleated frill lies flat along the lizard's neck with the bright colours hidden, to help the lizard stay camouflaged against predators.
Yarn: worsted weight yarn in brown, with small quantities of yellow or pink for the mouth and orange or red for the frill.
Hook: E US/3.5mm
Additional info: You'll also need 2 pipe cleaners to make the legs poseable. The ends of the pipe cleaners are protected, but please be sensible and don't use this as a baby toy unless you skip the pipe cleaners and stitch the legs into position instead.
Difficulty: This expansion pack pattern is intermediate level, but only because of the frill, which requires both changing colours and using different stitches (not just amigurumi-style single crochet). Please don’t be intimidated if you’re new to this type of crochet, though, as I’ll walk you through developing your crochet skills as you crochet the frill:
- In addition to my usual full written instructions and charted stitch diagrams for the frill, I’ve included instructional appendices for the frill for right- and left-handers.
- Each appendix walks you through the frill row by row via a special colour-coded stitch diagram for the row and a photo of the frill at the end of the row.
- If you’re printing the pattern, save paper and ink by only printing the right- or left-handed appendix as applicable (or don’t print either, if you don’t need the additional instructions).
Size: approx 15" (38cm) long with tail fully extended; 9" (23cm) excluding tail
Please note: to be able to make the pictured items in this Expansion Pack, you must also own the Iguana pattern.
Tip: To save money, if you haven't already purchased Iguana, don't purchase this item - instead buy the Iguana & Frilled Lizard multipack!
See projects made from this pattern here: