Cuboctahedron is an original EXPANSION PACK for the Polyhedral Balls crochet pattern by June Gilbank.
What is an Expansion Pack?
- An Expansion Pack is an add-on to an existing PlanetJune pattern.
- The Expansion Pack lets you modify or add to the original pattern to create something else.
- You cannot use the Expansion Pack alone - you must also purchase the original pattern in order to be able to complete the pictured items in the Expansion Pack pattern.
The Cuboctahedron is one of the Archimedean solids - a group of polyhedra made from two or more types of regular polygons, where every vertex (corner) is identical. The 13 Archimedean solids have up to 92 faces each, but the Cuboctahedron is perfect to crochet because it has only 14 faces and the resulting shape is a nicely balanced, satisfyingly large ball.
This Cuboctahedron Expansion Pack includes:
- All the modifications required to crochet and assemble a cuboctahedron.
- Tips for colour selection to give your ball the most impact.
- Full right- and left-handed step-by-step assembly diagrams as separate appendices, so you need only print the pages you need.
Size: approx 6" (15cm) in diameter
Yarn: worsted weight yarn
A harder, more robust yarn (e.g. normal non-soft acrylics, or cotton) creates a stiffer, more rigid ball, that doesn't bulge out too much when stuffed. For my sample, I used Lion Brand Vanna's Choice yarn.
Hook: E US/3.5mm crochet hook (use the smallest hook you can comfortably manage with the yarn you choose - you may need a smaller hook with a softer/lighter weight yarn)
Please note: to be able to make the pictured items in this Expansion Pack, you must also own the Polyhedral Balls pattern.
Tip: To save money, if you haven't already purchased Polyhedral Balls, don't purchase this item - instead go to the Polyhedral Balls pattern and select the Cuboctahedron Expansion Pack as an optional extra when you purchase!
See projects made from this pattern here: