Temperature Snake is an original crochet pattern by June Gilbank.
The Temperature Snake is an amigurumi-style riff on the temperature blanket/scarf, where you crochet one row per day to represent the maximum temperature that day. See the Temperature Snake CAL 2023 Gallery for examples of finished snakes!
Temperature Snake Crochet Pattern: This pattern has several options you can choose between to create a completely custom snake, with two examples so you can get an idea of how all the options look:
- Two different snake sizes (full sized, or the faster 3/4 sized)
- Two different lengths (one round per day, or one every other day for a shorter snake) - plus bonus instructions for a minimal twice-weekly snake
- Two different tongues (the easier full-sized tongue, or the more realistic slender tongue)
You can get adventurous and mix-and-match any of these options to create your snake, or copy them all from your favourite of my sample snakes. The pattern also includes lots of tips for making perfect stripes, and how to stuff and manage your snake as it grows.
Temperature Snake Workbook: This pattern also includes a bonus 25-page Workbook that walks you step-by-step through everything you need to figure out your colours and calculate the temperature range for your location, suggestions for colour palettes, and printable worksheets (that are also fillable digital forms, if you prefer) so you can log your temperatures and colours over the year:
- Step 1: Find Your Temperature Range
- Step 2: Create Your Temperature Scale
- Step 3: Choose Your Snake Options
- Step 4: Choose Your Colours & Yarns (with four example colour palettes to choose from)
- Logging Your Temperatures to Find Your Colours
- Worksheets (My Temperature Snake, Quarterly Temperature Logs)
I’ll show you how to choose a temperature range that suits your climate, and design a colour scheme around your favourite amigurumi yarns. Use a traditional colour scheme, or one that suits your taste. I’ll give you guidance with each step as you create your personalized temperature/colour chart that you’ll use throughout the year as your snake progresses.
Yarn: worsted weight yarn in multiple colours. (Yardage depends on the number of colours you choose and which size of snake you're making. The pattern explains how to estimate how much you'll need, but in all cases you'll need less than one 50g ball of each colour.)
Hook: US E / 3.5mm
Size: very approximately: 7ft, 4ft or 2ft depending on the options you choose!
Eyes: 9mm (small snake) or 10mm (large snake)
Note: Take advantage of the savings when you buy this pattern as part of the Snake Collection & Temperature Snake multipack!
See projects made from this pattern here: