Two original crochet amigurumi patterns: Royal Blue Tang and Amethyst Anthias, from the Tropical Fish range by June Gilbank. These mini amigurumi will hold your interest through their variety of shaping and crochet techniques that make each fish unique!
- Royal Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus).
- The fish you'll recognise as Dory also goes by many other names, including Regal Blue Tang, Hippo Tang and Palette Surgeonfish. These fish are almost impossible to breed in captivity, so fish for sale are harvested from the wild, which endangers their wild populations and reef habitats - far better to crochet one instead...
- Amethyst Anthias (Pseudanthias pascalus). With over 60 different species, the colourful anthias family hail from the Indo-Pacific region and are found in lots of different colours, so you can make one in yellow, orange, pink, purple or red and it'll still be realistic!
Yarn: worsted weight yarn (the pictured samples use Red Heart Soft and Bernat Satin yarns)
Hook: US E / 3.5mm
Size: approx 4.5-5.5" (11.5-14cm) long
- All techniques used include tips, step-by-step photos, and/or links to my online tutorials.
- All the fins (the pieces that aren't worked in the traditional amigurumi single-crochet-in-the-round technique) include charted stitch diagrams in addition to full written instructions, so you can follow the patterns in the way you find easiest.
- Each of the 4 pattern sets includes 3 pages of helpful instructions and finishing tips (including a basic illustrated guide to fish anatomy so you'll learn the right names for the fins!)
Note: Take advantage of the savings when you buy this pattern as part of the Tropical Fish Collection multipack, including all 8 tropical fish patterns!
See projects made from this pattern here: