Amigurumi Pears

© June Gilbank 2011

A realistic, beautifully shaped amigurumi pear. Crochet a bowlful in greens, browns, yellows, and/or reds, to make a stylish decorative centrepiece, or add a pair of safety eyes and an embroidered smile to make a sweet toy :)

amigurumi pears crochet pattern by planetjune

This pattern is Donationware – the pattern is available for free, but if you like it please consider sending me a donation to show your appreciation:

pears crochet pattern

Send me a donation and receive the easy-to-print PDF version of the pattern as a thank you!

click here to make a donation

Donations of any size are much appreciated. Just add the amount you wish to donate, and, once you have checked out and paid, your pattern will instantly be available to download from your PlanetJune account.

The complete pattern and instructions are available below, regardless of whether or not you choose to pay for them :)

This is a PlanetJune original crochet pattern. Feel free to use items made from this pattern however you wish, but I’d appreciate credit as the pattern designer. Please do not reproduce the pattern anywhere else; instead post a link to http://www.planetjune.com/pears

Not ready to make it yet? Add it to your Ravelry queue:

amigurumi pears crochet pattern by planetjune

Terminology

ch chain
invdec invisible decrease Note: If you prefer, you may use a standard sc2tog decrease in place of each invdec.
sc single crochet (double crochet for UK/Aus)
sl st slip stitch
st stitch

You will need…

• E US/3.5mm crochet hook
  • Small quantity of worsted weight yarn in green, yellow, light brown or red, and dark brown or black (for the stalk)
  • Stitch marker
  • Yarn needle to weave in ends
  • Polyester fibrefill stuffing
  • Optional: blush makeup and a large makeup brush

Notes

• Do not join at the end of each round; rounds are worked in continuous spirals.
  • Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each round. Move the marker up each time you start a new round.

Pear

worked from top down
With a pear-coloured yarn, make a magic ring, ch 1.
Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring. (6 st)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 st)
Rnd 3: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st) three times. (15 st)
Rnd 4: sc in each st around. (15 st)
Rnd 5: (sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st) three times. (18 st)
Rnds 6-9: sc in each st around. (18 st)
Rnd 10: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st) six times. (24 st)
Rnd 11: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st) six times. (30 st)
Rnds 12-13: sc in each st around. (30 st)
Rnd 14: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 st) six times. (36 st)
Rnds 15-17: sc in each st around. (36 st)
Rnd 18: (invdec, sc in next 4 st) six times. (30 st)
Rnd 19: sc in each st around. (30 st)
Rnd 20: (invdec, sc in next 3 st) six times. (24 st)
Rnd 21: sc in each st around. (24 st)
Rnd 22: (invdec, sc in next 2 st) six times. (18 st)
Rnd 23: (invdec, sc in next st) six times. (12 st). Stuff pear through hole, making sure to push the stuffing right up to the tip of the pear.
Rnd 24: invdec six times. (6 st). Cut the yarn, leaving a long (approx 12″/30cm) yarn end.

Stalk

With brown or black yarn, ch 7.
Row 1: sl st in 2nd chain from hook and in each remaining chain. (6 st)

Note: I like to work into the back bumps of the chain, but you can work into the chain normally if you prefer.

Cut yarn, leaving a long (approx 12″/30cm) yarn end. Draw end through last loop and pull tight to fasten off.

amigurumi pear by planetjune - the stalk

Finishing

Using a yarn needle and the long yarn end from the pear, close up the remaining hole at the bottom of the pear. Pass the yarn end through the pear, coming out somewhere along its side. Draw the yarn tight, and snip the end close to the pear. The yarn end should retract back inside the pear after it is cut.

Using a yarn needle and the long yarn end from the stalk, pass the yarn through the pear from top middle to bottom middle (you’ll have to squash the pear to get the needle all the way through!), so the base of the stalk sits over the magic ring at the top of the pear.

Make 3 small overlapping stitches at the bottom of the pear, to form an asterisk shape.

amigurumi pear by planetjune - shaping the pear

Pass the yarn end back up through the pear to the top, then pull the yarn tighter so that the bottom of the pear is drawn up slightly to help flatten the base.

amigurumi pear by planetjune - shaping the pear

The top of the pear may have been squashed down when you tightened the yarn. If so, insert the yarn needle under a few stitches at the top and pull up to lift the top of the pear back into shape.

amigurumi pear by planetjune - shaping the pear

Knot the yarn end and the starting tail from the stalk together, then thread both ends onto the yarn needle and pass them through the pear, coming out somewhere along its side. Draw the yarn tight, and snip the ends close to the pear. The yarn ends should retract back inside the pear after they are cut.

Squeeze and squash the pear to redistribute the stuffing inside and coax the pear back into its perfect shape.

Optional: blushed pear effect
To give your pear a realistic ripe-and-juicy glow, load up a large makeup brush with blush makeup, and pounce the colour onto one side of the pear. Keep it as a subtle shading, or build up the colour with additional blush.

amigurumi pear by planetjune - shaping the pear

Note: The blush colour obviously won’t stand up to a lot of playing, or washing, so keep this addition for a purely ornamental pear, not a toy!

amigurumi pears crochet pattern by planetjune

I hope you enjoy this pattern. Please leave me a comment below if you do, and consider leaving me a donation. Thanks!

click here to make a donation

1. Lindy said

Lovely – really gorgeous pears – good enough to eat :)
    Love, Lindy xx

2. Katie said

Love the blush idea! They are really sweet.

3. tara said

thank YOU sOOOOOOOOOOOO Much**********
    bisous*** from France!!!^^

4. Novella G said

As usually great job. Miss you, glad to see your site back up. I’m not using my old email n_o_v_c_g@yahoo.com. I look for a Deer Buck to make for a little boy. You have any ideas. Will come back very very soon.

Thanks again

5. […] the F-word (Fall, that is). Some yarn crafting is certainly in order for the change in season, and this pear amigurumi pattern from Planet June is a perfect place to start. A bowl full of them in rich autumnal colors would cozy up any […]

6. Barbara said

It’s just perfect and so is the aardvark. Just saw an aardvark on Jay Leno several nights ago and yours looks exactly like that one.

7. Megan said

I am so going to learn to crochet just so I can make these for my boyfriend’s mother for Christmas. Thank you!

8. Amalia said

Lovely! Thanks a bunch for the pattern
    Hugs
    Amalia

9. SOLANGE said

Wow, that’s gorgeous! You did a great job!

10. […] found this  Amigurumi Pears Pattern over at Planet June. Planet June requests a donation of any size for the pattern, however, also […]

11. […] the F-word (Fall, that is). Some yarn crafting is certainly in order for the change in season, and this pear amigurumi pattern from Planet June is a perfect place to start. A bowl full of them in rich autumnal colours would cosy up any decor […]

12. […] got the pattern for him here at Planet June. He cost me nothing as I already had the wool, stuffing, cotton and stick and he […]

13. […] Issue 10 of Mollie Makes Magazine. I combined a few tutorials for the balls. The pear tutorial is here and the apple is here Like this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

14. cher said

The crochet fruit is so realistic, it like those wooden fruits… I like to try this to see how turn out.

15. Thanks for this pattern. I knocked up a pear shaped doorstop using a 12mm hook and a sock filled with rice! Looks great I just hope my kids leave it alone coz they like it so much! Photo of it on my site .

16. Anna said

Hi! (: I love your designs!~ They give a home kind of feeling. (: I was just wondering what the name of the yarn–or any good soft yarn that you use–is because I’m not sure what to get. Sometimes I end of getting the rough ones when I don’t want to! Thanks :)

Anna, I wrote about my favourite yarns here (just read the top part of that post) – hope that helps!

• Anna said

Thank you so much!! (:

17. shanthi dene said

Your patterns are very good, easy to follow and comes out exactly like the picture.
    Thanks.

18. Georgina Santos said

wow! amazing tutorial!!! thank you so much!!! :)

19. Audrey said

would look so cute w/ eyes and mouth!!

20. susy said

this are so beautiful, I’m making every fruit I found, I’ve making smaller ones in the past, this r much bigger. wonder if u have smaller ones

Hi Susy, they are designed to be life-sized, but you can scale them down by using a smaller hook and finer yarn – see my post Sizing Up (and Down) for details :)

21. Summer Van said

love the blush idea! so not only can I wear my makeup, but I can put it on the stuff I make too! I’s a win, win situation!

22. Lori Verbrugge said

I had just learned to crochet and had no idea what I was doing–invisible decrease? Huh? :) I was amazed how easy this was, though, the the thorough instructions and detailed photos. It was so fun and easy I had to make several more pears (in fun colors) and a couple apples for a colorful fruit basket! This project gave me the confidence to tackle LOTS of other amigirumi patterns!

23. Planet june thank you very much for your amigurmi crochet patterns. I learnt heart, pears from your blog. Still i am the beginner. I will go through all your patterns. Thank you once again.

24. Aran said

Thank you for the pattern!