Magic Ring (right-handed)

Link easily to this tutorial in your patterns: www.planetjune.com/magicring

Looking for the left-handed instructions? Or the video tutorial? If not, read on…

What is this ‘Magic Ring’, anyway?

A magic ring is a way to begin crocheting in the round by crocheting over an adjustable loop and then pulling the loop tight. The advantage of the magic ring method (below, right) is that, unlike the regular “chain 2, x single crochet in 2nd chain from hook” method (below, left), there is no hole left in the middle of your starting round.

magic ring vs traditional method
L: ch2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 2 sc in each st around.
R: magic ring, ch 1, 6 sc in magic ring, 2 sc in each st around.

How do I make a Magic Ring?

Please note: in the following photos, the starting yarn tail is always on the left and hanging down. The working yarn begins on the right and is then picked up over my left forefinger in Step 2.

This demonstration shows a piece made using the following pattern:

Make a magic ring, ch 1.
Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring. ( 6 st)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 st)

If you’re following a different pattern, you’d complete steps 1-2 of this tutorial exactly as shown below, then work the chain and the stitches of Rnds 1 and 2 as specified in your pattern.

1. Make a loop a few inches from the end of your yarn. Grasp the join of the loop (where the 2 strands of yarn overlap) between your left thumb and forefinger:
    magic ring

2. Insert hook into the loop from front to back. Draw up a loop:
    magic ring

3. Ch 1 (or as many as stated in your pattern). Note: this does NOT count as a stitch:
    magic ring

4. Insert hook into the loop, so you are crocheting over the loop and the yarn tail. Draw up a loop to begin your first sc of Rnd 1:
    magic ring

5. Complete the sc. Continue to crochet over the loop and the yarn tail until you have the required number of sc for your first round (6 sc shown here):
    magic ring

6. Grab the yarn tail and pull to draw the centre of the ring tightly closed:
    magic ring

7. Begin your second round by crocheting into the first stitch of the first round (below, left). At the end of round 2 your work will look like this (below, right):
    magic ring

You’ll never go back to your old method again, I promise!

1. […] a Super Star Baby Afghan” was easy to follow.  I opted to start my beginning ring with a magic ring so I could cinch it really tight and not leave a gap in the middle.  I think it leaves a more […]

2. […] patroon van deze gehaakte ster is supersimpel. Begin met een magic circle. Toer 1: Haak 12 stokjes in de magic circle. Sluit met een halve vaste. Toer 2: Haak 2 stokjes in […]

3. Thanks for posting. I’ve been trying to figure out how to make the rings with no circle in the middle for the longest. Thanks for helping me out!!

4. Beverly said

I LOVE it!!!

• Gh said

Is it really magic

5. renee said

hello at last a clear pic of the magic ring i have looked at two You Tubes and looked at a few books but this is the best am so happy , as i am new at this and trying too make this childs dress with the granie tiny weeny crochets sq. by LP’s book . but will keep in touch with you always when i get good will order by for now thanks again Renee

6. Kathy said

Thank you so much for this clear illustrative instruction!!

7. Thank you so much! I’ve been trying to figure this out and your instructions are simply awesome… I can’t wait to try it out.
    LBC

8. sri said

I try to make the magic ring, but it won’t work ! when I pull the tail it’s stuck and don’t tight. I must be miss some thing. Please help me on this, thank you.
    sri

Sri, try crocheting into the ring more loosely – maybe your stitches are very tight and that’s why your yarn won’t pull through them.

• Ashley said

I had this same problem… I had the tail in the wrong direction. keep the tail in your palm and the yarn going to the ball going away from your hand (on the right side of the first pictures)

9. sri said

Aha! at last I can make it !! (after 10 minute try) just like you said, I”ll forget the old method cause “your magic ring” is a lot more better. Thank you for your generosity.

10. Judy said

Thank you for the Magic Ring. what a concept! And the Love Hearts is adorable! I am always looking online for ideas to crochet! I have 4 grandchildren and they are still young yet. So, I can get away with making things for them. I am interested in donating too! I would just rather send a check in the mail to you instead of using my credit card online. Hope that you understand. Thank You June……………Judy

Thanks Judy! As I’m in South Africa now, I can’t accept checks, only online payments. Online shopping with a credit card is very safe (provided you only input your details on a secure site like PayPal), but if you don’t feel comfortable with it I understand. Thank you for thinking of me anyway :)

11. […] yarn color that contrasts with the game board, make an adjustable ring (there’s a great tutorial here). Round 1: 5 sc in ring, sl st in first sc, ch 1. Round 2: 2 hdc in each st around, sl st in first […]

12. donna said

hi – you have an awesome tutorial here. I have just finished writing a pattern that begins with a magic ring. Some of my testers suggested I add a link to a magic ring tutorial since they had never worked one before. Since your tutorial is one of the best I’ve seen, with your permission, I would love to add a link to it in my pattern.
    Thanks
    ~donna

Donna (and anyone else reading this), you have my permission to link to any of my tutorials and/or the main amigurumi tutorial list (www.planetjune.com/help) in any of your patterns!

13. Rachel C said

Hello, and thanx so much for your magic adjustable ring tutorial. It’s really great but I was just wondering how to interpret it into a pattern. The pattern says, like shown, ch 2 then 6 sc into 2nd ch from hook. But when I think about it, I do a slip knot, and then ch 2, which would equal 3 loops. Now does this mean as I am interpreting it into the magic adjustable ring, that the string circle I make that holds all the stitches and adjusts acts as the slip knot? Cuz then step 2 would act as the 1st chain and step 3 would act as the second chain, afterwards working onto the 6 sc for the beginning of my project. Please tell me if I am correct or correct me! Thank you SOOO much! I can’t wait to continue my amigurumi projects!

I think you’re overthinking this, Rachel! It’s just a straight substitution:
      “Ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook” becomes “make a magic ring, ch 1, 6 sc in magic ring”.

(To answer your specific question, the magic ring is equivalent to the 2nd chain from the hook that you work all the stitches into, and the “ch 1″ is equivalent to the 1st chain from the hook that you don’t work into in either case. But you really don’t need to think this hard about it.)

In general, “X sc in 2nd chain from hook” becomes “X sc in magic ring”. The goal is to end up with the same number of stitches (X) at the end of Rnd 1, whichever method you use. I hope that clears things up for you :)

14. Rachel C said

Thank you very, very much for clearing that up!

15. Di P said

Thank you so much for being the only one on the web whose magic ring instructions I can actually understand. You rock!

16. Hemapriya said

Thank you so much Planet June! You make a very ideal instructor

17. Jill said

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have looked at SO many tutorials for this technique, and yours actually makes sense! Thanks again for sharing this with such a clear description.

Jill

18. […] To make a magic circle, theres a great tutorial  click here […]

19. […] couple of tutorial sites to bring you up to speed: a Magic Ring to start your ami, and how to Single Crochet (double crochet for you […]

20. Karen said

Thank you so much for the clear pictures explaining how to do a magic circle! I just started crocheting again after many many years and I’m thrilled with the instructions that can be found on the internet. Your time and effort is appreciated!

21. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing

22. Rebekah said

Thank you so much for this post!
    I am a beginner with crocheting and I was able to understand and follow your instructions very well. It was so neat how it all came together to form circle in the end. Thanks again!

23. […] magic ring, ch 1 […]

24. donna rios said

TY TY TY for the “magic ring” pics– I have tried and tried- and so far yours is thee easiest– Do U have free patterns? such as for hats and scarves i can make for the kids at schools or babies in hospitals?
    ty ty
    donn rios

25. Carole Denson said

Hi,

I have been trying to find someone who can help me make koala bear fingers and toes from a magic circle. The pattern I have is not much help to me as I have never made them before. All help appreciated.

Carole, without seeing the pattern I’m afraid I can’t help. I’d suggest you try contacting the designer of your pattern first, and if you don’t have any luck from them, email me with the details of what’s confusing you and I’ll see if I can help!

26. Carol lozinski said

If the hat is a double crochet pattern or a half double should you do those stitches into the circle instead of a single crochet? Or is the magic circle always done with single crochets?

Carol, you can do your hdc or dcs into the ring instead of scs – the magic ring method will work for any stitch worked in the round; I was just demonstrating it from the point of view of amigurumi, which are always worked in single crochet!

To use a taller stitch

1. At Step 3, instead of “ch 1 (this does not count as a stitch)” you’ll do ch 2, or ch3, or as your pattern specifies, and, depending on the pattern, your ch may or may not count as the first st.
      2. For Steps 4-5, make as many of the required stitch into the ring as your pattern specifies, then pull the ring closed.
      3. After closing the ring, you’ll probably also join with sl st to the first st, unless your pattern is worked in a continuous spiral.
      4. Begin Rnd 2 as usual.
      • Donna D said

As a Newbie to the world of crochet I am so glad that I came across this article, thank you for writing it very clearly and with pictures! :)

27. amanda said

After I make the ring for the cluster hat im having trouble understanding the directions. I am new to crocheting, this will be my first project! I just can’t figure out how to chain 3 inside the ring because there is no loop to start the chain as far as I can tell :-) if you could help I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you! Amanda

Amanda, follow my instructions exactly up to Step 3. Make the ch 1 I show in Step 3, then make 2 more chains, and there you go: ch 3 made :)

Then work your dc stitches into the ring instead of the sc stitches I show from Step 4 (so you’ll yarn over before you insert your hook into the ring to begin each dc).

28. Sara said

Hi! I just wanted to say thank you soo much for explaining this so well! I have been trying to grasp this concept for a few days now and could not get it. I tried to understand this from another site I was looking at and ended up very frustrated and confused. I just took a six week beginner crochet class near my house and am now obsessed with anything and everything crochet! Love your website! Thanks for the help :) Have a nice holiday!

29. Jen said

I linked to your post here in a free pattern tutorial on my blog

30. Miranda said

Freakin genius! LOVE IT!

31. Fiona said

I’m with everyone else…thank you for the very clear instructions and illustrations! I tried looking at Youtube and couldn’t get it. This is by far the simplest and most effective description!

Thanks again!
    Fiona

32. Danielle said

thank you for the instructions. I am left-handed and your clear pictures and description made it easy for me to figure out! thank you!

33. Trystan said

hi June!

i love your rose pattern, so i thought i’d try one of your other patterns – the hearts, plumeria, and daffodils. so i tried the magic circle, and i have a few questions.

it feels like i’m doing something wrong in step to draw up the loop, and my yarn doesn’t look like the second picture in step three.

when i finally do get stitches crocheted around the loop and the yarn tail, it doesn’t pull like it’s supposed to – like there’s a knot back on stitch 1.

also in step 5, you say to crochet until you have the “required number of sc for your first rnd.” this “required number of sc” is the number you have in Rnd 1 of your patterns, correct? like the plumeria, you have “rnd 1: 4 sc in magic ring” – so that “required number of sc” would be 4, yes?

• Trystan said

please ignore most of this…. i was able to find a video on another site for “adjustable rings”… and i got it!

however, i’m still cuious about my question on step 5. thanks. =)

That’s right, your first round is Rnd 1 of the pattern, so however many stitches are specified in Rnd 1 of the pattern is the number you make into the ring (4 in the case of my Plumeria). You draw the ring closed at the end of Rnd 1 (for some reason, the convention is to not specifically mention that in patterns).

• Trystan said

thanks so much for your answer. =)

34. Valerie Lever said

Thank you so much for your “magic ring” instructions….I have enjoyed everything I’ve seen so far on your site….I was introduced to it by my niece when she croqueted the “butterfly baby hat”….It is adorable….I’m still going over your patterns…I croquet hat and scarf sets (I also can up with my own pattern to make the hat and scarf together so that you don’t misplace one or the other). I donate these to Cancer patients…..we’ve had many family members over the past two years diagnosed with cancer…a couple have lost the battle…so my heart goes out to these brave people…..thanks to your patterns they will now have a wider variety…..thanks again….
    Valerie

35. Liz said

Is the first single crochet tougher to find than the others, or am I doing something wrong?

Liz, the first stitch of Rnd 2 is always hard to work back into, but especially so if you’ve pulled the ring very tightly closed already. I like to pull it almost but not tightly closed at the end of Rnd 1, then really yank it hard to fully close it when I reach the end of Rnd 2 – it makes it easier to start Rnd 2 that way :)

36. misty hernandez said

Glad i ran across this site very helpful. Thanks

37. Ada said

Hi June

This is my first time on your site, I just saw your video on how to do a loop stitch (crochet), and I found it very helpful. I have this project that reguires a double loop stitch (crochet) and double-loop-st2tog and I can’t find a video on it any where, I was hoping you could help.

Hi Ada! I create my videos to support my own patterns. Each one takes me several hours to film and edit, and nobody pays me to make them – I just create them as a service to help my customers. I’m afraid I only have time to make videos that demonstrate the techniques I use in my designs – I’m very sorry I can’t help you.

38. Thanks! Very simple directions… just what I was looking for!

39. dotb said

Thank you! Will try it soon!

40. Anna said

I was looking to make, by crotchet, some tiny, tiny five petal flowerettes to salvage my daughter’s expensive, moth eaten, fine woollen jacket but couldn’t make the first ring tidy enough for the quality of the item.
    I have tried your ‘magic ring’ method with great success. Using a very fine cotton sheen, like sewing thread, and the finest crotchet hook I could find in my rummage box. I am so very pleased with the finish and I’m sure the eccentric placement of the moth larvae holes (only on the two front panels) will add to the quality look of the garment.
    Many thank for posting these clear and easy to follow instructions with pictures. I like pictures!

• Birdie said

How nice! ;D I am sure it is a lovely sweater now! :):)

41. sandra bolser said

thank you so much for showing how to make the magic ring!

42. Amy said

Hello and thank you for your tutorial. I have achieved the magic ring, however I was wondering how to secure it? If I just pull closed, then it opens back up ever so slightly as I am crocheting other rows, so my question is this, do I need to tie a knot to secure once pulled close? If so when, a couple rows in or when the project (a hat for now) is done? I would greatly appreciate your help, and thank you!

That probably means you haven’t pulled it tightly enough, Amy. See my Magic Ring video for exactly how I do it. If you can’t pull it that tightly, there’s no harm in making a knot. You can tie the knot at any point after pulling it tight.

43. RoseOniel said

wow…. that is confusing lol…. But i will try… I just started doing crochet.. i know how to stitch but making loops and rounds is still a little hard for me but your pictures and distributions help :).

44. Julia said

I don’t understand how you got your loop to stay and still have your circle. following your directions, it did NOT work for me.

45. Ashley Carlson said

Hello! I am a new to crochet but quickly came across this tutorial and the video. Unfortunately after the 5th or 6th beanie, this is still SO very difficult for me!! I am not sure if I am doing this correctly and the tops of my beanies just seem to be a big circle of thrown together yarn!! They sort of make sense around row 3-4. How many sc do I do into the ring before I pull tight? Is it always the same or does it depend on the pattern?

Thank you!
    Ashley

Ashley, the stitches you make into the ring are the stitches of Rnd 1 of your pattern, so yes, the number does vary. If you’re still having difficulties, I suggest you watch my video tutorial too, to make sure you’re doing it right!

46. Mary said

Love the tutorial with the pictures! I really would love to share this with an older friend that doesn’t have internent. Is there any way to print this so I can share with her? Tried to highlight & print, but that doesn’t give but one picture. Thanks so much!

47. Mary said

Love this! Is there a printable version available? I need to carry with me in case I get stuck when I am at appointments & waiting. Like to carry small projects with me to keep busy :) Thanks so much!!!!

48. Wai Sam said

Hi June thanks for the tutorial. I have made my own Magic adjustable ring tutorial too! It took me one full day to take and edit the pictures. Kudos to you for making the tutorial. XoXo

49. Simply genius! Thank you a million times!

50. I love your poinsettia i wish your would send me the patti for all the poinsettia you have please help me love linda

Hi Linda, I’m not quite sure what you’re asking for, but if it’s my crocheted poinsettia pattern, you can find it here: http://www.planetjune.com/poinsettia

If you’re looking for any of my other poinsettia designs, try using the search box near the top right corner of this page – type in poinsettia and hit search, and all the related posts will come up :)