makes about 14
4 oz plain flour
4 oz plain chocolate
4 oz butter
4 oz chopped walnuts (optional)
8 oz caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
The brownies should be crispy on the top and a little sticky in the middle.
- Preheat over to 180°C, 350°F, Gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease a shallow, oblong baking tin (approx 7x11").
- Break chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl with the butter.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and leave the mixture to melt.
- When melted, remove from the heat and stir in the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking powder and salt.
- Beat eggs and stir until mixture is thick and shiny.
- Spread around baking tin and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and cool on a rack.
Keep in an airtight tin.