shrink plastic ring tutorial

Thank you to everyone who requested a shrinkydinks ring tutorial! This tutorial is an experimental method, not an exact science – you should have fun playing with it…

UPDATE: Since posting this very popular tutorial in 2008, I’ve answered every question imaginable in the comments of this post. If you have questions, you’re welcome to trawl back through the hundreds of comments to find my answers, or, to make things easier, I’ve compiled a 3-page shrinky rings FAQ, which is available exclusively when you donate $1 or more towards my tutorial (this also entitles you to further help from me by email, should you need it). Please see the end of this post for more details about this policy :)

Please note: if you’ve come here via the lovely bird ‘ring’ picture on Pinterest, read this post to answer your questions.

This tutorial is Donationware – the instructions are available for free, but if you like it please consider sending me a donation to show your appreciation:

shrink plastic rings tutorial

Send me a donation and receive the easy-to-print PDF version of the tutorial as a thank you! The PDF also includes a bonus 3-page FAQ compiled from all the tips I’ve shared in the comments since creating this tutorial.

click here to make a donation

Donations of any size are much appreciated. Just add the amount you wish to donate, and, once you have checked out and paid, your PDF will instantly be available to download from your PlanetJune account.

The complete instructions are available below, regardless of whether or not you choose to pay for them :)

This is a PlanetJune original tutorial. Please do not share or reproduce this tutorial; instead post a link to http://www.planetjune.com/shrinkydinks

I’ll answer some questions from the comments on my previous shrinky rings post before I get started, and add more hints and tips throughout the tutorial.

Shrink plastic, for the uninitiated, was originally marketed as a toy for kids. It starts life thin and flexible. You draw on it and then bake it in the oven, and it shrinks to become about 1/3 of the starting size, but 9 times as thick. This thickness makes it strong and hard. It will not bend after baking, so if you try to pull your ring open, or stand on it, it may snap, but it is strong enough to withstand regular use as a ring.

The last step (bending the ring into shape) is the most difficult, so I highly recommend that 1) you read through all the instructions before starting, and 2) practice on a blank piece of shrink plastic so you can get a feel for it and test your size and bending technique before putting too much effort into your design!

Full tutorial instructions are after the jump…

1. Find your shrink plastic

I use Shrinky Dinks Frosted Ruff N’ Ready, which accepts rubber stamped images beautifully. Any transparent shrink plastic will work. If you use the coloured opaque shrink plastic, you would have to decorate the outside of your ring instead of the inside. You could also use the inkjet printable type of shrink plastic.

An alternative source for shrinkable plastic is #6 plastic, commonly used in food packaging. Look for the ‘6’ recycling symbol to make sure you’re using the right type! You’ll have to sand one side before use, as the plastic needs a rough (not shiny) surface so the ink won’t smudge and rub off.

Note: If you are looking for sources, search for “shrink plastic” (generic term) not “shrinkydinks” (brand name) and you may have more luck. For example, if you’re in the UK, googling ‘Shrink Plastic UK’ (without the quotes) will give you lots of online stores that sell it. You’re looking for large sheets of it, not pre-cut shapes.

2. Measure and cut to size

Note: Different brand of shrink plastic may shrink by different amounts, so you might want to try baking a plain test piece to make sure you’ve got the size right before spending time on decoration.

Measure: The best method to find the right length for your strip of plastic is by trial and error.

• A: Simple Method: Use my measurements for your first attempt, then modify the length if they turn out too small or big! My rings fit small ladies’ fingers, and are 6mm (1/4″) tall.
    My starting dimensions were 14.2 x 1.6cm (5 5/8 x 5/8″).
  • B: Attempt to Calculate Size: If you know your ring size, you could calculate the desired circumference of your ring with a ring size converter. (The circumference would be equal to the length of your strip of plastic after shrinking.) However, I found that, although Shrinkydinks is supposed to shrink by ~3 times, my strips needed to be ~10% longer than the length I calculated in this way.
    This isn’t an exact science. I recommend you just use your best guess to make a test ring; you’ll soon find out if your strip should have been longer or shorter!

Cut to Size: To cut the plastic, I like to use a guillotine (paper cutter) to get straight lines, but it’s probably not good for the cutter blade (I use an old cutter blade). You could also use an xacto knife and metal ruler, or just cut the plastic with scissors.

The corners can be very sharp, so I like to round them off slightly with scissors before baking (don’t worry if you forget this step; you can file or sand them down after baking).

3. Decorate shrink plastic

Follow the decorating instructions that come with your shrink plastic. Here are some ideas:

• Rubber stamps + alcohol-based permanent inks (be warned: other types of stamp ink will smudge)
  • Fine-point permanent marker (e.g. Sharpie) to draw or trace your designs
  • Coloured pencils (use in combination with the above to add colour)
  • Print designs directly onto your plastic (inkjet shrink plastic ONLY)

If you’re using the frosted type, remember to decorate the rough (frosted) side. For other types, consult your instructions.

I used peg stamps to decorate my first rings. The designs are only 1cm tall so fit my rings perfectly. Below I have also tried some other rubber stamps:

Don’t forget to let your ink dry before adding any coloured pencil embellishments, and remember that colours will become more saturated and vibrant after baking, so less is more in this case.

4. Find a suitable form to bend plastic around

Here’s a useful tip to find an object of the right size to create your ring: take an existing ring, and try to slip it over various thin cylindrical household objects, e.g. marker pen barrel, wooden spoon handle, lip balm tube. You are looking for an object that is a tight fit inside your ring. If you don’t have anything suitable, you could buy a short length of wooden dowel of the right diameter. Your object will come into contact with hot plastic, so don’t use any treasured possessions for this step.

5. Shrink your plastic

This is the fun part!

Preheat a toaster oven or conventional oven to the temperature specified on your packaging. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area so any fumes don’t build up.

Note: Please read the instructions below all the way to the end before baking your ring – the shaping happens very quickly after baking so you need to be ready…

Place your strip (decorated side up) on a piece of brown paper on an oven tray, and put it in the oven. Keep watching… this is where the magic happens. Your strip will begin to curl up and wiggle about as some parts heat more quickly than others and so begin to shrink more quickly. Don’t worry if it looks like it’s stuck together – in my experience it always flattens out as it continues to shrink. When it has finished shrinking, leave it in the oven for another 30 seconds to heat through evenly.

Here’s an animation of the shrinking process:

6. Shape your ring

When your strip comes out of the oven, you’ll have to work quickly – you only have about 10 seconds before it has cooled and becomes rigid. Disclaimer: to protect your hands from the hot plastic, you should probably wear a thin glove (for more control) or an oven mitt (for better protection against the heat) but I don’t bother – it is very hot, but the plastic doesn’t stay hot for long enough to burn my skin.

Remove the brown paper from the oven. Wait for about 2 seconds (so it’s not too hot to touch), then carefully wrap the strip around your forming tool, with your decorated side facing in towards the tool. Hold it in place for a few seconds until it becomes cool and rigid.

I’m not going to lie, this step is tricky. You really do have to work quickly, and not make any mistakes, otherwise you won’t have time to wrap the entire strip around your object before it cools. But don’t lose hope! There is a magic fix for a badly-formed ring like the one below…

Pop your misshapen ring back into the oven on the brown paper, balancing it upright on its curved surface so the join is at the top (as in the picture above). After a minute or so, the plastic will relax back out of its shape, and revert back into a flat strip… I told you this stuff was magic! Let it heat through for about 20-30 seconds, then try to form the ring around your tool again.

Left: unsanded edges; Right: sanded edges

That’s it! You can sand down the edges to give a smoother finish, but this may partially obscure your design. You could also paint the edges after forming for a different effect. For more durability of your design, use a clear coat to carefully varnish the inside of the ring (one coat should be enough).

You can make matching earrings, charm bracelets or necklace pendants – just punch holes for the jewellery findings before shrinking the plastic, and remember that the holes will also shrink, so don’t worry that they’ll be too large.

Enjoy your new jewellery!

shrink plastic rings
Click for larger version

Please note: if you’ve donated for this tutorial and read the included 3-page FAQ, and still have problems or questions relating to the instructions in my tutorial, you’re very welcome to email me for further help; please include your order number in your email.

I do not have time to respond to any other questions – if you look back through my many past answers to questions left in the comments here, you’ll probably find the answer anyway, or you can just donate $1 or more and receive the PDF version of this tutorial together with a 3-page FAQ which should answer any remaining questions :)

Happy shrinky ring making!

Please leave me a comment if you enjoyed this tutorial, and consider leaving me a donation. Thanks!

click here to make a donation

1. liz said

You can also shrink using an embossing gun. I have never tried something so large but i have made pendants before using just the gun.

2. Rebecca said

What “clear coat” are you referring to?

• maggie said

any coat of clear substance should be good. they sell clear spay paint, and since i am a crafter, i use that, but if this is all your using it for, you might want to find a cheaper alternative. for a thicker glossier coat, try clear nail polish, but test it on a scrap first to make sure the chemicals don’t interact and smudge the ink.

3. Your instructions are very clear and now I’m itching to try it! Thanks.

4. Susan said

Hi and thank you for your tutorial!! I can’t wait to give this a try!

5. donna said

have you every tried to make a cuff bracelet with this?

donna, please see my previous answer to this question, here :)

6. Jenifer said

Do u sell these rings? Or take orders?or anything like that?

Sorry, Jenifer, I don’t – I’m a crochet pattern designer! But a quick Etsy search should find plenty of people who do sell them :)

• Amanda said

You mentioned you are a crochet pattern designer? How does that work? I have an Idea for a afgahn, but no idea how to bring it to life! lol Could I send you an image of what I want in the pattern?

I’m afraid not, Amanda! You may be able to find someone to commission to design an afghan based on your idea, but that’s not the sort of design work I do – you can see the sort of patterns I design if you look in my shop. :)

7. Carrie said

in the last picture of the tutorial, the “background” of the ring is white. How did you do that?

LOVE this idea!

Nothing clever! That’s just the natural colour of normal Shrinkydinks – the rough ‘frosted’ surface looks whiter when it’s been shrunk.

8. Lore said

Thank you for posting this! Over the years I’ve collected some really beautiful stamps… and I’ve always had an itching to use them on more than journals, day planners, various cards, and just randomly…

Ring patterns is absolutely perfect for them! And this is so simple too!

9. Becky Kennedy said

Just wondering what do bc I only found matte shrink paper n now my designs almost have to be on the outside? Bc it’s like an opaque white plastic once shrunk n noticing my ink is rubbing off great instructions though very helpful I am the one fishing this up now can u help advice??

Yes, you’d have to have your design on the outside of an opaque ring to see it.

The ink would rub off if you didn’t use a permanent alcohol-based ink as I specify in the tutorial. Also, make sure you read the instructions for your specific shrink plastic to see if there are any other differences – I don’t know if this is the case, but opaque shrink plastic may need sanding before you can print on it. Regular Shrinkydinks comes with a roughened surface that will accept alcohol-based ink, coloured pencils, etc, without any preparation.

You can also seal your designs with a clear coat after shrinking – the Shrinkydinks website has some specific recommendations for types of clear coat.

10. I came across your project and I am thrilled to try and do this myself. I do have a few questions… can you use colored ink and does the plastic come in colors? Can you hot glue embellishments also and then actually stick? Kinda thought to hide the gap or crease is to use beads, lace and feathers or pearls, the frilly stuff us know? Thank you very much for your help! I also plan on adding you to my website as a link if that is okay? I am currently in the process of cleaning it up, purchasing my domain and advertising and what not, so I’m just trying to get permission from other sites that are similar to yours to allow their link be on my site! Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to keeping in touch! Happy Holidays and hope you have a Merry Christmas!

You’ll have to experiment for yourself if you want to modify my idea with embellishments :) You can use any colour of ink provided it’s permanent alcohol-based ink. You can see the Shrinkydinks range at their website – any coloured shrink plastic wouldn’t be translucent though, so you might prefer to colour in the entire background with coloured pencils. And yes, you’re welcome to link to my website!

11. isabel:D said

as I can do to fix the color better. I buy sharpie (permanent markers) but I feel that the color is erased. Pleas recommend something. already try putting nail varnish and lacquer but the color does not adhere well.
    ………..

12. katey said

Where can u find the shrinky Dink plastic n how much does it usually cost?

13. Gretchen said

I made these rings the other day (came out quite cute, by the way! :-) However, I’ve noticed that after wearing the ring for only a half a day, the design is starting to smudge off already? I used permanent markers (Sharpies) as you recommended. Not quite sure why it’s smudging already? I used the Matte shrinky dink paper….should I be using Clear instead? Also, should the design be on the outside of the ring, or on the inside of the ring (against my skin)?

Otherwise, a very fun project…and a bit challenging, like you said, to shape it correctly in the 10 seconds you have while it’s still pliable.

Want to try cuff bracelets next, but wanted to see what you recommended for the smudging first.

Thank you!

14. April said

I just made 3 of these using shrink art plastic and sharpies…. I broke my first attempt and smudged a few not reading the last step about clear coat but the others came out wonderfully and now everyone is asking where I bought them! I love it and plan to make more once I get more plastic!

15. denice said

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I have seen some plastic jewelry with designs on front and back. Do you know if the ink print paper can be printed on both sides or would the back design be glued on? Thank you

16. Virginia said

I have not worked with this Plastic before so I was wondering can you make the plastic strip thicker by bakeing 2 layered?
    Will the two layers fuse?
    V

17. Taylor said

I featured this awesome tutorial on my blog today! Thanks for sharing!

18. CJ said

I saw another post for shrinking the packing that fresh fruit comes in. You know those thin plastic snap close vented boxes. Anyway, I haven’t tried it yet but I wonder if it would work for this also?

19. Gribou said

Dear you.

Where could I buy this one please : http://pinterest.com/pin/195414071302966937/

:) ?
    Thank you !
    Love.
    Marianne

20. Sonja K. said

I saw this on Pinterest and I love it! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I can’t wait to try it.

21. xiaoxi said

June, thanks for your details and I just want to know, where can I buy some shrink plastic material. would put a interlink on. thank you a lot.

22. Angie Perry said

I don’t have a website, but I found your shrink rings on a Pinterest board. Would you be interested in making these rings yourself – and I can purchase from you?
    Thank you kindly. (please let me know, I will place an order for a size 8 and maybe you can do something I like through your website options)??

A. Perry
    Greensboro, NC
    3/16/2013

23. Jenni said

Love it! Great tutorial. I will try this as soon as possible!

24. Emily said

Have you ever tried plastic from a take out container? I read somewhere it’s the same stuff but can’t remember which number plastic, any thoughts?

25. kat said

Love the look of these rings and your helpful tutorial.
    So excited to give it a try but ran into a problem.
    After mine curled it would fall over on its side (tried 2)
    and not recover. When I try to stand it up again in the oven,
    it seems like it has hardened already and cant be fixed.
    What do you think I am doing wrong ?
    Should I just leave it in longer ?
    Anyone run into this glitch ?

26. Hi June,
    Thank you for such a brilliant idea and easy to follow instructions. I use a heat tool to shrink my shrinkydinks and love watching it curl and uncurl again. When we were kids, we used to put chip packets in the oven and make them into charms! So much fun! For those asking about colours… you can colour plastic using the markers from Kaszazz – Alcohol Ink Art Markers. They’re new out and will colour almost anything!!! My Dad uses them to mark his golf balls! Just experiment and have Fun :) Thanks again June!

27. Nicole said

Have you ever used glitter on the shrink plastic? I’m wondering if it would just burn in the oven… Thanks!

• Mie said

Do not use glitter before you bake your shrink plastic, but it’s ok to use afterwards.

Love your tutorial. Thanks.

28. Penny said

June
    Is it possible to attach the ends together and put on a dowel to bake so that it shrinks to the dowel size and eliminates the open ends?

29. Stacy said

This is awesome June! Great instructions. I now have to go to a craft store and buy some shrinks dink stuff! I love it! Thanks for posting!

30. Kay said

You can also use things like Number 6 plastic from take out foods instead of adding to the plastics we already have around us. :) Tried it and have some great plastic “jewels” I designed with funky patterns.

31. Andrea said

Where do I get all the supplies I need like the plastic strips and r those stamps just reg stamps and u put a layer of clear stuff over stamp b4 shaping?

32. Leah said

I think this is a neat idea for girley Christmas gifts :)

33. Jenovasilver said

Hello! I’m very grateful for this tutorial, thank you so much…I have a question, do you prefer to use sandpaper or a file to smooth the edges? And if sandpaper do you have a recommendation?

34. Crafty Bug said

GGgRRRRRR Hate this thought it was easy. It took me 7 times to try to form the ring and ended up as a necklace. GGGRRRR

35. Annamarie said

There’s a product sold at JoAnns, hobby lobby, any scrapbook store called “stays on ink”. It’s permanent. Sharpies? No. Stays on ink…yes. Great idea. I used my shrink to make earrings & findings for jewelry. Thanks for the inspiration.

36. Alysha said

This is awesome! I love shrink plastic projects and I can’t believe that I never thought of this one! Great post, now off to color some plastic!!

37. Kara said

Thank you for such a well laid-out tutorial with terrific pictures. You put a great deal of thought and effort into sharing with us – all the necessary particulars and answered any additional questions with continued thoughtfulness and grace.

I found this on Pinterest and repinned it from your site; can’t wait to make it! As with many crafts I realize it’s trial and error – but that’s just part of the fun!

Thanks again!
    Kara from Canada

38. Kelly Braund said

Thanks for the great tutorial! Gives me lots if other ideas too!

39. Vanessa said

Great tutorial. My shrink plastic is bending too much in the oven and melting to itself. Also not forming it quick enough :( can see how it would work however :)

40. Lisa said

Thank you so much for this awesome idea. I made some little wine charms a few years ago as gifts using the shrink plastic and they were darling! I think this would be a beautiful craft for the “tween” age girls in my daughters class. Of course, all the baking and shaping would be done by adults but they could design them and maybe even do a swap amongst themselves as a friendship ring.
    Thank you again for being so descriptive and patient with this lovely tutorial…..and thank you for your generosity in sharing it with us all!
    Xoxo,
    Lisa

41. lvc200 said

Hi June

Just found this on pinterest and wanted to thank you for your generosity in sharing this design. This craft plastic is called “Shrinkles” in the UK. I use it a lot in the craft group I run for people with depression because it is a great way to use ‘colouring in’ as an activity whilst crafting a whole new item. I have been wondering how to take the shrinkles activity further and this tutorial is full of really great detailed information which will help me to make my next session so much more enriching. Thanks again.

Lx

42. Pam said

Hi June –
    Thank you for so generously sharing this tutorial with us! I found this via Pinterest and can’t wait to give it a try!
    Just one question for you: what do you use for sanding the finished items? Is it just plain old sandpaper? (fine grit, I’m guessing)

43. augie said

have to say it is my first time, and first craft idea I’ve looked at. What FUN! Thank you so much for the intrusions. I’ll be getting back to you. augie

44. janie goines said

@ planet June , Thanks for sharing your talent , you are so gifted.

45. Kimber said

I noticed that the photo of the rings on Pinterest look like they are solid rings but the ones shown in the tutorial have the break in them. Is it possible to make a solid ring?

46. Autumn said

The ring featured in the main picture, with the crows (birds) and trees, I would
    Like to purchase it but I need a certain size/s. can you do that for me? Thank you!
    Autumn Woodward

47. Ananasa said

Really cool concept, very different! We love it! Thank you for sharing your creativity!

48. junaid said

i like it…..its a light weight..thanx for sharing great information…

49. StoneMaven said

Love your tutorial! I have done something somewhat similar by making cabochons out of shrink plastic with a heat gun and my dopping block (Block with a dished depression of varying sizes to make domes). I shrink the round to size, set it in the proper depression, slump it with the heat gun on low, and press it into shape with the dopping die (Metal or wooden stick with a round end that fits in the sized depression). Set it in a bezel and easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, necklace component. I’ve made the most fantastic owl inspired neck pieces this way, and now you’ve inspired me to make matching rings! Thank you so much!

50. Aurora said

Hi,
    Thank you for your tutorial ! It’s wonderful because I have little finders and it’s hard to find my size for a nice ring.

I saw your photo on Pinterest too and as Kimber said, the ring look like a solid ring.

What is your method to completely close the ring, please ? Is it possible ?

Aurora