Serengeti Sunset & interview

The lovely Sister Diane interviewed me for the latest episode of her podcast, CraftyPod #97: Two Ways to Publish a Craft Book, with June Gilbank. We talked about our experiences in print and eBook publishing. If you have any interest in publishing a craft book at some point, either the traditional way (through a print publisher) or by self-publishing an eBook, you should definitely listen – there’s a lot more to publishing a book (either way) than you might realise!

For my non-crafty family and friends who don’t have any interest in the subject matter but just want to hear me and my English accent, my section starts at 13 mins through :)

I’m also very happy to be able to reveal my latest punchneedle design, entitled Serengeti Sunset. Distinctive acacia trees are silhouetted against the African sunset as giraffes and an elephant wander the plains of the Serengeti:

serengeti sunset punchneedle embroidery by planetjune

This design is a little different from my others – I laid it out as a long landscape, which would make a great embellishment for a purse or bag, as well as a stunning wallhanging.

I also modified the design to create a tapered coffee sleeve to fit over a standard disposable coffee cup. The loops of punchneedle embroidery form a thick, dense fabric which is perfect to use as a barrier to stop your hand from being burnt while holding your hot beverage of choice! Look stylish while you help save the environment by not using a second cup or a cardboard disposable sleeve each time you buy a coffee:

punchneedle coffee sleeve by planetjune

The full instructions for both the flat rectangular embroidery and the tapered coffee sleeve (with full assembly instructions) are provided in the Serengeti Sunset pattern.

The Serengeti Sunset pattern costs $5, or take advantage of my new special offers:

I’ve set up a new mailing list for my punchneedle designs, so please sign up for that if you’d like notification when I release new patterns!

I hope you like my latest design! Please leave me a comment if you
do…

1. Reba said

I love it June. It looks really cool on the coffee cup. I have to get that pattern!!!!

2. AWESOME! That’s the coolest project I’ve ever seen! I’m definitely going to order one!!! Hope you have an amazing Monday!
    XOXO!

3. Amanda said

WHOA! Awesome idea, and great execution!
    I can’t wait to get my hands on punchneedle supplies. :(

4. Jana said

June! This is beautiful! As someone who has SEEN a true African sunset, I have to say you caught it brilliantly! As soon as I do my bird and get the hang of punchneedle, you can bet this will be next on my list!

5. Idadown said

Another fantastic design! I definitely will be making a Serengeti purse. I think that the coffee cosy is a brilliant idea! – here in Oz I think they must be inbuilt, because I have never seen the cardboard sleeves…our cups have a sort of corrugation around them…but then maybe I just don’t get out enough LOL. Can’t wait to see your next design….

6. Sonya said

I love this June. Not only is it beautiful, but you have truly captured the essence of an African Sunset. I think it’s fantastic!

7. Donna said

WOW! Its such a beautiful design! The picture is so stunning – that I don’t want to take my eyes off it. Well done June!

8. Kira said

That’s AMAZING and absolutley gorgeous!

9. futuregirl said

Beautiful beautiful beautiful! And the coffee cup holder is such a perfect use for punchneedle work!

10. futuregirl said

Oh! And the interview is great (I just got a chance to listen). Your accent is so adorable!!! Now I feel like I know you even more. :)