My patterns are instantly downloadable after purchase, as zip files. These pose no problem to current computers, which have built-in unzipping software (so you can open them and access the PDFs stored inside). But, unfortunately, iDevices have no native way to handle zip files, and iPad users have been understandably frustrated that their patterns are in a format they can’t read without first downloading them to their computer.
Good news! One of my customers (thanks Jessica!) told me yesterday that there’s now a free app you can get for your iPad called iDownloads+. It allows you to download and open zip files on your iDevice, and then view the PDFs on-screen, print them, and/or transfer them to your computer.
I thought I’d give you a brief tutorial on how to use iDownloads+. There may be other apps with similar functionality, but iDownloads+ is one (free) way you can download and open zip files from your PlanetJune account on your iPad/iPhone.
(Please note: I don’t own an iDevice and can’t provide support for iPad/iPhone apps, so please don’t ask me if you have questions about this – I’m just providing this information as a service to iDevice users who have previously been unable to download and open their zipped patterns via iPad/iPhone.)
To view your PlanetJune patterns on your iPad
- Download iDownloads+ from the App Store.
- In your browser (Safari), go to your PlanetJune account and click the download link for your pattern.
- From the menu that opens, select Open in… and select iDownloads+ from the list. The zip file will be saved in iDownloads+.
- Click Extract to open the zip file. You’ll see a new folder with the same name as the zip file in the Files list on the left.
- Click the folder. You’ll see a list of the PDF(s) inside the zip file.
- Click the PDF to view it onscreen through iDownloads+.
- (To hide the left menu so you can see your PDF in fullscreen mode, click Hide Files List at the top of the screen.)
- Advanced: iDownloads+ also lets you print your patterns, and transfer the PDF files to your computer via WiFi (using your browser) or via USB (using iTunes Sync). For details, go to Settings and then FAQ in iDownloads+.
I tested iDownloads+ today (hence these screenshots) and it works very well. Good news for all iPad owners! I hope you find this information helpful