Joining Amigurumi

When making amigurumi, you will often need to join an open-ended crocheted piece (e.g. the top of a leg or tail or a muzzle) to a closed crocheted piece (e.g. the body or head). Sewing these together neatly can be tricky and can make the difference between a cohesive finish and an untidy messy join. In this tutorial I will demonstrate the method I developed for sewing pieces together neatly, with an almost invisible join.

Both pieces are usually the same colour, but, for the purpose of this tutorial, I will be joining an open-ended brown piece (right) to a closed grey piece (left):

how to join amigurumi

You will usually have a long yarn end left over from the open-ended piece to sew the two pieces together. For further clarity in the tutorial, I have substituted the brown yarn end (above) with pink yarn. Thread a yarn needle with the yarn end:

how to join amigurumi

Hold the two pieces together in their final position, with the yarn end towards you. Note: I’m left-handed, so my stitches go from left to right and I hold my work with the open-ended piece on the right. If you’re right-handed, you will probably find it easier to mentally ‘flip’ all my images (left to right).

how to join amigurumi

Begin the first stitch into the main piece, just outside the place where the two pieces touch:

how to join amigurumi

Bring the needle back out of the main piece where it will be covered by the second piece, then through both loops of the next stitch of the open-ended piece (going from inside to outside):

how to join amigurumi

Draw the yarn all the way through so there is no slack, but do not pull it overly tight. Your first stitch is complete. If you are using the same colour yarn for both pieces and the sewing, the stitch will blend into the crocheted stitches and will not be obvious, unlike in this picture:

how to join amigurumi

Repeat the same process with the next stitch: insert the needle into the main piece just outside where the two pieces meet, coming up further inside, then through both loops of the next stitch of the open-ended piece, going from inside to outside:

how to join amigurumi

Repeat for each stitch around the open-ended piece. When you get the hang of it, you can do the complete stitch in one move:

how to join amigurumi

Here’s a close-up of exactly where the stitch should be made:

how to join amigurumi

And here is the finished result – a nice, smooth join:

how to join amigurumi

Look at the size of the stitches – to make the best join, the stitches should be visible like this, but of course they will not show up like this in your real work where you use one colour instead of three! Here’s an example of my technique in action:

how to join amigurumi

I hope you find this tutorial useful! Happy amigurumi making…

1. Suzi.BC said

I love your tutorial, but can you answer a silly question ? On your dog at the bottom pic, did you join everything with one colour or other? Thanks I am still just a beginner! you have such beautiful patterns.

Suzi.BC

2. June said

Suzi, it’s not a silly question :)
    I changed colour where necessary so I was always joining the brown parts with brown yarn and the white parts with white yarn. It’s not a lot more work (except more ends to fasten off and weave in) and the end result is much better if you match the yarn colours.

3. Emma said

Thank you soo much for posting this!
    I’ve been getting into all sorts of pickles trying to join my little friends together.

You’ve made some lovely things and well done for mastering left-handed crochet, It looks so confusing!

4. kkelly said

This is a great tutorial, and makes me happy to see I’ve been basically doing it correctly, if a little messy. But I run into a problem at the end. I’ve just been doing a stitch and then making a knot through it, then sort of tucking the rest of the long piece of thread into the inside of the piece. Is that crazy talk?

5. [...] I couldn’t find a video for this part, but Crochetme has a great article about it, and here’s another one. It’s really [...]

• Patti S said

Not sure what you mean by “tucking”, but I push the needle thru the piece, pull a little snug, cut it off, and the stub pops back into the piece.

6. June said

kkelly, all I can say is that if it’s crazy talk, call me crazy – I do the exact same thing :)

7. Jeannie said

Great tutorial, June! My problem is knowing where to place the pieces/parts. I made a reindeer (sorry, someone else’s pattern I think) and can’t get his legs, antlers, ears, etc., in the best places. It would be so helpful if patterns could tell you to “mark this spot” for the different parts. Also, I was wondering, do the plastic pellets in the bottom of the legs help the cutie to stand up better?

8. [...] un exelente tutorial sobre cómo ensamblar amigurumis. PlanetJune también tiene un tutorial sobre unir amigurumis. La clave es hacerlo con calma y cuidado para que las uniones se noten lo menos posible, y para las [...]

9. [...] Me has an excellent tutorial on Assembling Amigurumi. Planetjune also has a very good tutorial on Joining Amigurumi. The key is to do it slowly and with care so they join shows as little as possible. Use pins to [...]

10. Nicole said

I am a brand newbie to amigurumi & I am really confused about which way is the right side & which way is the wrong… can you shed any light on this for me? Also I am making a pattern from the book Kyuto Japanese Crafts Amigurumi & trying to make the furry bunny but am stuck on the ears…. (I know – basic & I can’t get it) – any advice you could offer would be great.

Nicole

11. Tracy said

i’m making a baby pig for my dad’s birthday with my OWN pattern… now i can sew the pig’s leg to the body. YAY!

12. Rowena said

Thanks for that – a simple technique, excellent description and it looks great – can’t wait to try it out tonight!

13. sheene said

thanks for sharing! :) really helpful..

14. Jonnie said

This is the BEST tutorial EVAH!! I enjoyed making my first amigurumi but was DREADING sewing on the pieces and parts. It seemed like I was messing up all of the nice, neat work I’d done on the body parts. You make it looks so easy — and it is. It seems so simple now and it looks so much nicer.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!! I’m going to share this link on Ravelry.

15. Eleanor said

Thank you so much! A great pictorial explanation of the joining process…and left-handed too!!! I never find things explained for lefties, and I’m always the one trying to mentally flip everything around. Ha Ha you righties…now you know how it feels :-) just kidding you guys…but it’s nice to see something from our point of view!

16. clar said

hi, im new to crocheting. just wondering, do you have to join up the stitches at the end of the last round with a slip stitch before joining or is that unnecessary?

clar: your pattern should instruct you how to finish each piece before joining the pieces. In general, it’s best to join with sl st at the end of the last round. This will give a smoother open edge, which will make it easier to join the pieces neatly without leaving any holes.

17. Clar said

Oh. All the pattern did instruct was to just fasten off and end with a long tail. Well i guess i ought to join with the sl st then. Thanks :)

18. Parker said

Oh my goodness, this tutorial was so helpful! Thank you!

19. Silvi said

Thank you! It is very helpfull!

20. Eo said

This is so incredibly helpful. I’ve been trying to muddle may way through patterns in the past, but now it all makes sense!

Can I ask what you do with your ends? I normally just stuff them in, but I’ve had some problems with them popping back out :/

As Cheryl says below, you can weave the ends through your stitches one way, and then back the other way.

An easier way for amigurumi, though, is to just take the end right through the body (through all the stuffing) from one side to the other, and then make another stitch heading back through the body again, in a slightly different direction, then snip off the remaining end. Same principle – if you pull on the stitches, the yarn won’t slide out because it’s ‘facing’ both directions – but it saves having to actually weave the yarn through your stitches.

To make it even more secure, you can knot the yarn around the post of one of your stitches before losing the end inside the piece.

• Eo said

Thank you both for the help!

• Jessica said

Thank you June! As always you provide the best tutorials on amigurumi : )

Can I please make a request? Could you please make a tutorial on how to weave in the final ends after you have joined the pieces? I read your description as above…but I am such a visual person, and would love to see a tutorial. I understand if you don’t have time. Thanks

21. Cheryl said

The best way to secure your tails is to thread them through your work one way in a straight line, then thread them back through those same stitches in the opposite direction – so they are going back on themselves. This is much like the “backtack” sewing stitch you would use on a sewing maching to finish your work. (Obviously do this in such a way that the tails aren’t showing on the outside of your work.)

22. Cheryl said

Just to add to the above: when you’ve threaded your tail in one direction you have to pick up a stitch before you turn and go back the same way, otherwise the thread would just come out.

23. [...] and sweater collar to body as in photo, using long yarn tails. (For help joining these pieces, see this excellent photo tutorial. ) Make sure  parts are securely attached. Sew ears to head leaving approximately 4” diameter [...]

24. Anna said

Thank you soooo much!
    I messed some of my Amigurumis just because I did not know how to sew parts together.

25. Silvina said

Hi June! your amigurumi’s tutorials are great. Your page is in my INSPIRING SITES’ carpet. I understand how to join them but I can´t figure out how to finish to make them look tidy. I read all the explanantions but I need photos… from the last knot… and how to hide it. Please? Thanks and greetings from Argentina. (sorry for my english)

Silvina, you can see how to get rid of the yarn end after joining by looking at the end of my Ultimate Finish tutorial: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/the-ultimate-finish-for-amigurumi/

(If you’re joining pieces together, you can tie a little knot around a post of a stitch along the join first, and make sure the knot is also pulled to the inside when you pull the yarn tight, so it won’t be seen on the finished piece.)

• Silvina said

Thanks, I’ll practice… love your page…

26. pattypansy said

I would also like te know —which is the wrong and which the right side of the work and does it really make a difference. Enjyed your tutorial- neat and easy to follow

27. Susan said

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I’ve ordered your book but it’s stuck somewhere in Christmas post. This tute means I can finish my presents.
    Also magic to have pictures in left-handed orientation as I am. It’s a nice change for the other guys to have to mirror-flip instead of me! :)
    Thanks again and happy Christmas, Susan

You’re welcome, Susan! I’m afraid it’s all right-handed in the book though – sadly us lefties are still a minority, so I had to flip all my photos for the book :) Happy Christmas to you too!

28. Lori said

Thanks for the great pics and tutorial for joining pieces on my “critters”.

29. [...] eyes and nose, stuffed to it’s fullest firmness. It is time to join them up by sewing. Click here to see how to join, or here for a video. Some patterns will show where to join, for those [...]

30. Jenna Bristol said

This is great! I have a sort of related question. When a pattern calls for stitching on facial features, etc., how do I attach the yarn or thread before beginning the straight stitches or back stitches or whatever?

Jenna, if the head is open at the bottom, you can come up through that opening so your end will be hidden once the head is stitched down to the body.

Otherwise, begin at the back of the head and pass the needle through to the front. Ignore the dangling end at the back of the head until you’ve finished stitching, then pull it very tight and snip it very close to the head so the remaining end is drawn inside the head and won’t be seen.

Hope that helps!

31. Jenny said

I absolutely love your site and tutorials. Your instructions are very clear and you’ve turned something I found daunting into something totally feasible. Thank you!!

32. nyss said

thanks for the wonderful tute – great to point people to when they ask for help with this ^_^

33. Emma said

really great site – loving it! Am new to crochet and it has been helping me a lot. one thing though, i was joining a black body to a white head. i used black thread but you can see it along the white neck line at the front. what would you suggest here? the pattern is the grim reaper in the creepy crochet book.

many thanks,
    Emma

It’s impossible to make a join like that (joining an open piece of one colour to an open piece of another colour) totally invisible – because of the colour change at the join, your stitches will always show unless you change colour for the last round of one of the pieces. A good pattern should explain which colour yarn to use to join the pieces and how to get the best-looking join… It looks like the Creepy Cute patterns typically have some sort of collar that covers the join later, so you don’t have to worry about it as it won’t be visible once the pattern is complete :)

• Emma said

ok cool, thanks for explaining June. yeah, i think my grim reaper hood should come round the front more.

34. Jasmine said

I’m having trouble sewing my feet to my body. The body is eggshapped and every time I sew the feet they look all outta wack. PLease help!!!!

I don’t really know what to suggest without seeing the body and how the feet are supposed to look! Maybe try stitching the two feet together first (if they are supposed to touch) and then stitch them onto the body as one big piece?

35. Jasmine said

Hey June
    Do you use thread or yarn too sew your body parts together?

I use yarn in the same colour as I did to crochet them – it makes the least visible join :)

36. cijay00 said

can i use a crochet hook to to join the pieces?

37. [...] this project, I used the unicorn pattern from Sweet N Cute Creations. I also used this tutorial from PlanetJune to sew up the parts. This tutorial really helped me because of the clear photos [...]

38. RB said

Im just a beginner, trying to make an amigurumi cactus, i was worried about how i would join the pieces together, until i found your tutorial! thank you so much for your help =)

39. MJ said

June,
    Thank you so much for all the tutorials, especially the video ones!
    I am learning so much from you, and I’ve been crocheting since I was just a little tyke, and am now teaching my grands how to crochet as well.

Your site is one of the best I’ve found yet!!

MJ

40. Thank you for the tutorial! I’ve crocheted 3 little stuffed animals so far and hadn’t actually looked up how to attach the pieces to each other before. I had been using my crochet hook. It looks like this will be a little easier to control. Good to know exactly what patterns mean when they say to sew the pieces together :) Today I plan to crochet a bunny amigurumi or two (smallest stuffed animals I’ve made so far!) and will use this method for sewing the limbs onto the body.

41. yarnhooker said

I’m still a beginner and seeing this made me understand a bit more. But. . . what about when you’re done stitching and it comes time to cut the end of the yarn tail? Do you just do the last stitch and then cut the yarn down so it’s not visible? Or is there a way to weave more in so you know the yarn will stay and your joint piece won’t come off?

You do need to hide the yarn end securely so it can’t pop out. See my reply to someone else who asked the same question here :)

42. um omer said

i like the tutorail sooooooooooooo much

43. Jessica said

Inspired by your technique, I created a method for joining two different colours of amigurumi, while hiding the seam. I have given you credit in the post too.
    Thanks

44. CDC said

Thank you for the wonderful tutorials on your blog! We’re having a white elephant gift exchange at work so I decided to have fun and make a white elephant. You’ve taught me the magic circle and how to put the limbs on. Thanks for the help!

45. ???????? said

Is available on fotoobyasnenie assembly. I am delighted!
    I did not have this knowledge. Thank you!

46. maia said

hi there, you have a really nice website! i’m just starting amigurumi and have a big trouble to joint 2 part especially if there’s between two different color yarn, i also hard to read pattern because of language problem,but i’m still try to find the way, hope i can do it better and better, sorry about my English, i’m from Indonesia

47. Maria said

I’m a beginner/intimidate crocheter I want to make animals

48. Kate said

Thank you for this great tutorial. Joining pieces together hasn’t always been my forte but your method makes it so much easier :)