how to make a magic ring in crochet [video]

Link easily to this tutorial in your patterns: www.planetjune.com/magicring

My magic ring tutorial seems to have become pretty much the definitive photo guide that people link to in their crochet patterns, but it’s not enough for everyone. It’s taken a while, but the much-requested magic ring video tutorial is finally ready.

Now, I know that 99% of my regular readers probably already know how to make a magic ring, but it may be worth your time to watch my video anyway – I have a special little tip that makes the technique much easier!

magic ring for crochet video tutorial, by planetjune

If you’re new to crochet, let me explain that the magic ring (also known as an adjustable ring) is an essential technique for crocheting in the round when you want to avoid the hole in the middle that you see when you start with a slip knot and chain and work into the chain. If you make, or want to make, amigurumi, you need this technique!

And now to the video tutorial (in right- and left-handed versions, of course):

Magic Ring for Crochet (right-handed)

Magic Ring for Crochet (left-handed)

Note: The videos may look a little small embedded in the blog: if so, you can fullscreen them or click through to YouTube to watch them full-sized :)

Magic Ring Tips

• You can use magic ring in any amigurumi pattern – if it starts with a chain, just replace the starting ‘Ch 2, X sc in 2nd chain from hook’ with ‘Make a magic ring, ch 1, X sc in magic ring’.
  • To work in joined rounds instead of the spiral I demonstrate, simply sl st into the first st at the end of Rnd 1, then ch 1 to begin the next round.
  • Magic ring is also pretty handy for other crochet patterns worked in the round, too. For taller stitches, instead of the ch 1, you would ch 2 (for hdc), 3 (for dc), or more for even taller stitches, then work Rnd 1 of your stitches into the magic ring. Note that, with taller stitches, the turning (or non-turning, if you’re working without turning) chain typically does count as a stitch, so where I say to ignore the ch 1 in the video, you’d instead count that chain as the first stitch of Rnd 1, and sl st into the top of the chain before beginning Rnd 2.

If you enjoy my crochet tutorial videos, please help to spread the word about them, and/or subscribe to the PlanetJune YouTube channel.

1. Great video. I’d already learnt how to do this by using books on crochet but this video is very clear and easy to follow. I also didn’t realise that it’s better to tighten the closed centre hole after completing the second round of stitches, or that there’s a risk of it loosening again unless you pull really tight. Thanks for this, it’s really helpful :).

Thanks, concretemoomin. That part is my own innovation – I realised it works better that way after many years of practice!

2. Sarah-Jane Corrado said

GENIUS! I feel like my whole crochet world has changed now. That annoying hole is gone from my projects! Thank you so much for your help! You rock!!!

3. Monica said

Thank so much for making it a video!!! Your pictures and instructions in your patterns are amazing but this video is greatly appreciated! It’s nice to know that when you do it the same way as the designer your projects will hold up :D Thanks!!!

4. Jana said

So glad to have a good video of this! I do one thing slightly different that has really worked well for me. I pull the first chain one really tight so it is kind of a knot. This helps two ways. 1 it tightens the ring up so it’s easier to put down if I need to as it keeps the ring in place, and 2 and most important, I never mistake it for a stitch and the “bump” is not at all noticible. :)

You can see in the video that my ch 1 is quite small too – you’d have to battle to try to work into it! (It just happens naturally when you have your yarn under tension – that’s why you have to chain loosely if you plan to work back into those chains, e.g making a starting chain when you’re working in rows.)

I find that if you pull the ch 1 closed into a knot, it makes it much more difficult to insert your hook into the first stitch of Rnd 1 (when you begin Rnd 2), so it actually works better if you leave a little give in the chain stitch – but of course, whatever works for you is the method you should use :)

5. [...] Magic Ring Video Tutorial. @planetjune has a new video tutorial for her popular instructions to crochet the magic ring. I personally actually don’t use the magic ring much but I know it’s favored by many crocheters. [...]

6. Lisa said

Thank you so much for this tutorial and video. It has changed the way I crochet…I love to make hats etc and always despaired of getting the ring small enough. Thank you again!

7. pam said

Thank you 1,000 times! I did finally figure it our using the written tutorial but if i don’t make a magic ring for a month or so most likely i will need the refresher and this will be wonderful to have.

I totally love your magic ring – can’t remember if it was Alice or Diane that pointed me in your direction, but however i got here, I am so glad I did!

8. Wendy Hampton said

Oh my! This is such an amazingly simple to understand procedure and totally solves my problem with that annoying hole. I got here through Pinterest and am thankful I found you. Wonderful video!

9. BB said

Hello, I purchased a few of your patterns and I am really having a hard time with the legs. I am working on the Stegosaurus leg to be exact. . Same thing with attaching the head to the body, just not working out for me. Please let me know if you have any tips or tricks.

Thanks you!

BB, I tried to email you about this, but you gave me a fake email address…

Assuming you’re just having difficulty attaching the pieces neatly, I recommend my Seamless Join tutorial.
      (I show it on a much larger piece, but the principle is the same for any sized piece). You can also look at my older tutorial, Joining Amigurumi, which also works well and is demonstrated on similarly-sized parts to the steg legs and head.

If you need more help, please give me a real email address so I can get in touch with you!

10. Joan said

Thank you so much June for these lovely video tutorials. I’ve often wondered how to make a magic ring, and now I know, thanks to you. Brilliant!

Love Joan xx

11. Lee Ann said

YAY! I finally get it!! I’ve looked everywhere to find how to make a magic ring, and I’ve never figured it out. Even with your photo tutorial, I just couldn’t quite get it. One time watching the video, and I’ve got it! I had to see every little step since I was missing some in the photos. Thank you! Not sure this lefty would have been able to figure it out watching the righty video. Thank you!!!!!!

12. natasha said

Thanks for this tutorial. I have made hundreds of hats but they always had a little hole in the top. I can’t wait to try the “magic circle” it seems so simple but at the same time a great idea! Thanks again :)

13. Suzanne said

Great video! I can finally do the magic ring thanks to you! I really appreciate all of your tutorials and videos. They are great aids for beginner crocheters!

14. Shawn George said

Thank you June for making such a clear video that even I could understand it and sucessfuly make a majic ring!

15. Ariadne said

Hi June, I love your website and thanks particularly for the video tutorials, which are incredibly clear and very useful – especially love the one on invisible decreasing! Excuse my crochet ignorance, but can you tell me if I am correct in thinking that a pattern that starts like this:

Round 1: ch 4, sl st in the 1st ch to form ring.
    Round 2: ch 1, dc 8 in the ring, sl st in the 1st dc st of row (8 sts).

can be substituted with this below to avoid a hole?:

Round 1: make magic circle, dc 4 in the circle, pull yarn to tighten circle and sl st in the 1st dc.
    Round 2: 2 dc in each stitch (8 sts).

??? Does this give the same effect, but without the hole??

Thank you!

Ariadne, not quite: Round 1 in the original pattern is just forming a circle to crochet into – the equivalent of making a magic ring. So you’d jump straight to Round 2 and crochet 8 dc directly into your magic ring.

• Ariadne said

D’oh, I see, thanks! I was making it far too complicated for myself! Thanks for clarifying that. It’s surprising how many amigurumi patterns don’t instruct you to use the magic ring.

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer me, I appreciate that : )

Ari xx

16. Judith Stover said

This is the most amazing technique I’ve found in a long time! I’ve been crocheting for over 21 years and wish I had known this years ago. I make stuffed animals and characters for my kids and now grand kids. Many of the patterns start in a round and I often have to sew together the tell tale hole so stuffing won’t get pulled out by curious little fingers. I will begin using this immediately! Thank you!!!

17. Rosemary Foley said

Hello… thank you so much for the video, I have always hated the hole in the crochet project I am working on, so I am going to try this. I watched the video, and will watch it again, as I am hearing impaired and tried using the captioning, but it really wasn’t matching what you were saying.. so when I have a minute, I will practice.. this is such a great idea and from other comments it will be easy to learn. thank you again, I am hoping to learn to make some coasters or perhaps hot hats for my children’s homes !!! and mine of course.. thank you again very much..
    Rosemary.. are you on facebook ???

18. Sheila Rishworth said

Thank you so much for this tutorial in left handed. Brilliant!

19. Ella said

Hey! Ur patterns are really good but i cant get to youtube so couldnt watch the video :( i need help because my magic circle isnt flat and it starts turning in the shape of a basket! Please tell me what to do!

20. Victoria said

I just wanted to say that this tutorial has saved me twice now! I first learned the magic ring from this very video when I was first learning amigurumi. I took a long break and forgot completely how to make a magic ring, and recently just looked up at least ten tutorials, and none of them were as clear and helpful as yours. Finally I can continue my amigurumi projects!

21. Joanna said

Hi June
    thanks so much for explain the magic ring in your tutorial. This is so easy for me, now :). Greatins from Poland :)